Leaf Blower/Vac Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jayhox, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Hello,

I have about 5 acres with a lot of trees around the house and will need a good heavy duty leaf blower/vac. I'm guessing a backpack model will be best (or maybe walk behind?), but I have no idea what's out there or what is recommended.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Grant

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Your question is a bit unclear. Do you want a:

1. Blower/vac combination.
    2. Just a blower.
    3. Or just a vac.

Backpack blowers can't be used as a vac. Only certain handheld blowers convert to vacs. But these are really too small for your big property.

There are walk behind blowers, and walk behind lawn vacs.

If you can be more specific as to what you want to do, you'll get better answers here to help ya out.

3. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

I would like a combo blower and vac. It was my hope that there was a backpack model that was suitable for both, but maybe I'm out of luck? If not, I would be interested in just the vacuum option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

4. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never seen a backpack blower/vac combo. I'd recommend going with a walk behind version if you are looking at clearing that kind of acrearage. Or, just buy a big Z with a mulch kit and return thoese leaves to the earth :) the other option would be a walk behind vac and a good backpack. The hand held ones are prbably too small for what you are looking for.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Unfortunately you are out of luck. No such machine.
    As far as walk behind vacs, try a search on here for "lawn vacs", or "push vacs".
    Doesn't seem like they ever get great reviews. But then this is from commercial users. Perhaps they'd be ok for residential use.

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been a dealer for 20 years and haven't found an effective lawn vacuum. You can mulch, bag or purchase a high horse power wheeled blower to clean up you lawn but using a vacuum is not an option.

Oldtimer

7. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. It's mainly for all the beds around the house, not the yard itself. I'll look at the walk behinds and see what turns up.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I worked for a fellow who had a Stihl backback blower with the vac attachment. Unfortunately I don't remember a whole lot about it other than it didn't work too well, but I attribute most of the problems to his equipment not being maintained. One thing to notice about these backpack blowers with the vac attachments is that the vacuuming is performed through the blowers regular tube, which is about 2½" in diameter; not very wide, whereas the handheld blower vac/shredders generally have intakes about twice that diameter.

I've had quite a bit of experience with the Stihl handheld blowers with the vac attachments. These were not the shredder/vac models that Stihl now has, and there are differences. They little vacs can be extremely handy in certain situations. These little vacs work great for the final cleanup stage, such as vacuuming up small pieces of paper, cigarette butts, leaves around or in shrubs, etc. One trick that I’ve done with these guys is to blow leaves out from parking lots or beds and into the street, and then from the street back against the curb. Then, with the vac I’d walk down along the curb and vac up the row of leaves. Since the debris goes through an impeller, it is shredded before it goes into a bag. The backpack blower on the other hand just sucked things up whole.

If you’re interested in these shredder/vacs I can also mention a few things to be aware of, or look out for.

9. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I found out that the Echo PB6000 has a vac attachment if someone comes across this.

10. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

I could of sworn that I saw a picture of Little Giant or Little Wonder 13hp? with a suction unit that fits on the front of the machine in front of the impeller. Check out the latest Turf edition.
    Mark