Leaf blowers- which to choose?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by angrysasquatch, May 14, 2006.

1. angrysasquatch

angrysasquatch LawnSite Member

Hey,
    I've been looking to get a backpack-style leaf blower instead of raking. I need it for maybe 5 jobs per year. It needs to be decent at brush work (if it can move twigs and small branches thats a bonus) One model that has caught my eye is the Echo pb-403. Can anyone give me an idea of what brands/blowers are good and which ones to stay away from? Thanks alot!

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the Redmax 7001 personally because it has plenty of power to do everything. I think the other lower models would handle brush work the way you would want it done

3. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

i;ve got two new Stihl BR600s. Amazing power for a backpack blower. I strongly suggest it. This thing will move piles of leaves and sticks. I'm sure you'll find more use for it than just 5 jobs a year.

4. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stihl br600 as a home owner and it will move sticks and a lot of leaves. As far as durability I do not know because I have only used a few times, but it starts easy.

5. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Redmax 7001 and it's a great powerful machine!

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I say go with the redmax. Do a search because this has been brought up several times lately.:waving:

7. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

echo pb651t is awesome lots of power to move sticks, stones and leaves

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

RedMax. Easy to start, great power. And it's got that neat back ventilation feature - sucks air in through the back padding.

9. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have a redmax eb7000 (same as the 7001) and an echo pb751. the 751 has slightly more power than the redmax and it is $50.00 cheeper. the only problem i foung with the echo is the gas tank is to small.it only runs about 45 minutes on a tank i can get over an hour with the redmax.

as for the pb 403 it's great for blowing down after mowing but to move leavrs it's under powered.

Ron

10. angrysasquatch

angrysasquatch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies- I just went and bought an Echo 651 H, and all I can sayis WOW! This thing blows me away (not literally though) I tried a 260 L from home depot the other day and decided it wasn't what I was looking for. When I was trying out the 651, I was thinking that it was only marginally better than the 260, then I realized it was at 1/3 throttle!
    Well, I cannot thank you guys enough for telling me not to cheap out. I would've been kicking myself on every job if I went for the 260. I've got nothing against the Stihls except they're damn expensive. I know for a fact of how incredible those engines are, my brother helped work on the machining center that spits out their pistons, and let me tell you, the tolerances that machine is built to handle are insanely accurate.
    Nice site you guys have here, its nice that you've got a good server speed instead of the less-than-satisfactory speeds I see on some other forums. I can see myself spending alot of time here :dancing: