1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf box for 6 foot truck bed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Larson Lawn Care, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm considering buying a billygoat leaf loader, but I need to build a box on my truck. I have an f250, with a 6 foot truck bed. Can anyone help me with do's and do not's with building a leaf box? Height, material, design, etc.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Silver Member

Get pressure treated wood and galvanized screws/hardware.. It will make removal that much easier. Build leaf box like house walls, take your time and you'll be good. Also put 2x4's width ways on each ends of the box after your done..(walls be very wavy and floppy without)... I went roughly a foot above my cab, on my f150 and had nice results. I also had room to hang stuff etc, Good luck and post PICS

Also make sure the box can vent!!

024.jpg

025.jpg

031.jpg

3. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pretty slick bud! Thumbs Up

4. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I framed up about 4' above thee bed with 2x4's. Then basically covered the whole thing with that heavy duty orange construction fencing. The back and top folded back over the truck to allow access. The holes are small enough the keep the debris in and lets air flow so you get less wind resistance. My old bed was rusting out so it was replaced with a flatbed I built last winter and have no idea what I'm going to do now for leaves.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Larson Lawn Care

I'll definitely get pressure treated wood and galvanized screws, thanks. I'd like to build it as tall as possible. I'll possibly be buying a 35 hp Billy Goat leaf loader.

6. Picture Perfect Landscape

Picture Perfect Landscape LawnSite Member

This is a setup I put on the back of my duramax 5 or 6 years ago when I first had a debris loader. Worked well. Only thing I would recommend is don't go to big. Make sure it vents well and it will pack that thing full. I amazed myself with how well it would pack it in. And put a pallet in the back with a chain if you don't have a dumper.

Image83.jpg

Image81.jpg

7. Larson Lawn Care

I thought about the pallet, but can't I just vacuum the leaves back out of the leaf box when at the dump?

8. Larson Lawn Care

Can I do several fair sized jobs with a box like that?

9. WJC

WJC LawnSite Senior Member

It takes way too long to vac the leaves out. I took a pitch fork and bent the tines 90 degrees, I stand on the tailgate and pull the leaves out. It doesnt take that long and I always jump on the pile to really pack the truck good. I use a 5 tine pitch fork with 2 tines removed.

10. Larson Lawn Care

good idea, I'll have to try that if I can't get the pallet to work