Leaf Box of MDF???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ocean Side, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Ocean Side

Ocean Side LawnSite Member

Will MDF hold up to the weather, painted or not painted on a leaf box? or would it be a total waste of money?

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think there is exterior grade MDF, not ment to be in the elements forever w/o paint, but has different resin holding it together. Either way it should last as long as plywood.

3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

why would anyone want to use mdf? osb maybe but particle board no way.

4. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

MDF will not last long in the weather. All though it will last longer than the particle board. It will still expand when getting wet. If you treat it well with a weather/water proofer it will last even longer. Plywood is probably the best as when it gets wet, it wont just break apart like MDF or particle board will.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

If mdf gets wet I turns back to saw dust. So if you put wet leaves in the box you will no longer have a box. No matter what water proffer you use it will break down. Mdf is made of saw dust, glue, and a treating agent. Make a fram for 2x material then put treated exterior ply on the frame. If you want it to last use epoxy coated screws.

I do carpentry most of the time so I am dealing with all alot of these products. Mowing is only a thing I do on the side.

:) :usflag: :cool2:

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot to say that even when coated with water proffer or sealer mdf will still asorb water. Osb is not ment for wether either.