leaf box on my flatbed or 6x12 trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 21, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well since my 22' trailer is very usable now, i have a dilemna.... i could put my leaf box on my F350 with a 8x12' flatbed, or i could put it on the 6x12 trailer that is not used anymore. The main difference in size is the truck is 2' wider.

On the truck-
    i would not build the box real high though- too much wind resistance (sucks gas mileage) and height limitations. I could build the box to slip right off the truck in sections with the stake pockets though.
    Have everything in one trip to jobsite
    Don't have to drag a trailer with me to the dump site

On the trailer-
    Could build box higher without worrying about wind resistance, because i can unhook the trailer and get the same gas mileage with the truck when used for personal stuff (for instance i usually go to my Grandma's a couple times each leaf season to help with her leaves- she has tons and tons of them, she lives 2 1/2 hrs away and i couldn't afford to go over there with a box on the truck).
    Could go and suck up leaf piles after dark, giving more time to work during daylight cleaning the property.
    Means two trips to property.
    Means dragging trailer to dumpsite (not a real big deal though).
    If the job does not require a mower and bagger, just the blowers, then the job can be done in one trip by puttin the blowers in the truck.

Truck box would hold about 14 yds building it 4' tall from the bed.
    Trailer box could hold about 16 yards building it 6' tall from the floor.
    So capacity does not differ too terribly much. FWIW, we also have a one ton Ford van that is not used anymore. One of my workers could follow me with it pulling the leaf trailer and it could all be done in one stop with gobs of capacity for any job, but this is only if i have a worker that day. The advantage of having the trailer used for a box is that the gate can be lowered and you can back the mower right in to dump the bagger although i have the three bag system on the Ferris, i could build a box that would hold more and dump out so i can fit lots more leaves in it... hmm.. decisions decisions. The drawback is that at this time, and unless i find something between now and then, i only have a 5hp 6" vac to use to load the truck/trailer. Also neither the truck nor trailer dump and i cannot afford a dump kit this year.

I'm kinda leaning toward puttin it on the truck but i know some guys use a trailer so i thought i'd see what the reasons are for that.
    Thanks guys :)

So i am fairly well undecided! Any ideas or input?

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Truck. 2 trips and you lose time and money.

Got any pics of the trailer done?

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I think that your best bet is going to be putting it on the truck. It is true that you will not have as good gas millage but in the long run, it will be much more convenient. You do not want to make 2 trips. The idea with the worker would work great, but you run the risk of that not working out and then your entire operation is flawed and needs to be rebuilt.

You will spend a few more dollars in gas this season, but what you are getting as far as convenience goes, you will be happier that you did it this way.

Good luck and lets see some pictures of your trailer!

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN