Leaf Box on open trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt'slawncare, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I have an 18' open trailer and i was thinking about making a leaf box on the front of it, It will be 8' long x 4' tall i will be putting the mowers behind it when its full or in it when its empty. I will lay a tarp down then just pull it out with the lawn mower. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this idea? Any other ideas are welcome.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

talk to wriken about that. He has a setup similar to that.

3. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

My friend does that and he has me come vacuum it out when he is full. It might be a little heavy to be pulled out by a lawnmower. My compost center will pull loads out using their loaders, so a lot of people put a pallet in the front and run a chain to extend beyond the trailer.

Just some info.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I did, works but still a lot of labor getting it unloaded, have to unload some by hand till you can pull off. Tarp will tear etc. If you still want to do it that way put a pallet of similar item down and then load up, will pull better. I added another axle to my 12' trailer and put a dump insert on it, will build a 4' high box to load leaves on. I have a 16 hp vacuum, will get pics and post maybe Tomorrow. I just put some flimsy 2' side for now to haul whatever.

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Unless your pullin the trailer with a stationwagon, or somethin other than a truck. Why would you want a trailer at all when doin leaf removal? Build a box for the truck and thats that.

NOOOOOO TRAILER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just gets in the way...

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

and what, drive the mowers with collection systems from job to job? LOL :)

could do both box in truck and trailer.

I don't work with the mowing/cleanup crew, so they go ahead and do cleanups, I pick up the leaves that they can't dump onsite, or people will call me to haul if the have no place to put them or don't want to burn, also if the city won't pick up.

7. bastalker

Leave the mowers at the house too!! They get in the way....

Looks like I'm gonna have to show U guys how to do leaf removals.....:D

8. bastalker

Listen guys....I am from Ct. After the awsome fall folliage, there are a million plus leaves everywhere, and we up here in Ct, have made a profitable biz, maybe the most profitable out of the whole year in cleanin these things up. This is where the money is, and it aint rocket science.

Ya need a couple a blowers, and a leaf vac, preferrably mounted to the front of the truck.

Ya can have a swing vac mounted to the back, but mounted to the front is the way to go. You can drive right up to any pile an suck it right up, Easier on the truck, no towin anything, and ya can dump wherever without unhookin anything.

9. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,
    I did exactly that.

I have a 16*7 trailer. Here's a pic:

big trailer fall setup 1a.jpg

10. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a better picture:

big trailer done 1.jpg