Leaf Box owners help needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Movinfr8, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Am in the process of building one on my 6.5X12 trailer. Need any suggestions. I am considering a 6 foot tall by 8 foot long. would go taller, but the Montero might have trouble with that much leaves! Also, the wind resistance on the road would be considerably higher for the extra 2 feet.
    thnaks in advance,
    Norm

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

when you build a box something that I did was have a front and back entrance into the box. The front entrance is for I can push the leaves out of the back entrance

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to vac them in or dump them? Mine's for dumping into. It's on a 6.5 X 12 trailer. I made it last year from lumber I salvaged from a handicapped ramp I no longer needed. I had doors on the back but ended up taking them off. Now it's in the back yard with a tent over it...serves as the garden shed, LOL.

leaf box on trailer reduced.jpg

4. Darryl G

Here's what it looks like now.

shopinside.jpg

5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

darryl darryl darryl

get a EZ dumper for your truck bed.then make a 6ft box for it.it will save your back.

6. Darryl G

Mike - I've thought about it, and I may, but unloading wasn't really a problem. I just put a tarp on the bottom of the trailer and another one for every foot or two of leaves, like a leaf layer cake. I have ropes on all grommets of my tarps and can just hook them to the chain hooks on my tractor loader and pull them out if I need to.

Besides, most of my regular accounts have onsite disposal areas or woods to dump the leaves in, so I don't really haul a lot of them.

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i wish if i had some of your accounts.all my fall cleanups are haul aways.i got a great deal on the new EZ dumper 1895 installed,but u need to go over to EZ dumper of RI. hour and 15 min drive.but thats a smart way you got going there.

8. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Vac, I am getting a billy goat leaf loader, mounted in the front of the tlr, blowing them in. Good idea about the multi tarps! I was wondering if one wouldn't rip under so much weight! I have also heard to use a pallet under the tarps to help them slide out.
    Thanks,
    Norm