Leaf box question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smoothbore2004, Oct 25, 2004.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Hey guys
    Well bought one of those billy goat truck loaders and built a box on the truck. However i notice that when i fire it up i still get alittle debris that comes out of the corners. What is the trick to loading these leaves into the truck without making a mess on the ground. Also when it gets about 2/3 full i really get alot of debris coming out the corners. I have put in a screen at the top to act as a vent. but it still blows out the corners and back doors. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys
    George

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I just built my first box this year and it had some blow out but i cut up some of the extra mesh tarp and stapled it on where the leaves were coming out.

4. smoothbore2004

from Indiana

hey Al if sence was common, everybody would have it. Hey i like that setup you have, looks good.

5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Duct tape along edges, usually holds for a week or two till enough dirt builds up to block debris.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You need a bigger screen. With my leaf box, when I used it, I just had plywood sides in the dump trailer, with a wood door on the back, then a mesh tarp over the whole thing draped down the 4' sides of the plywood.

The reason you're getting the blowout, is because there's not enough room for the air to escape, so it's just making its own areas.

7. smoothbore2004

from Indiana

so maybe have about a 1' 6" strip downthe middle instead of 4" like i have now??

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

try a 4' x 8' screened opening using a 1/2" screen.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

How much exactly coming out? You are not going to be able to trap 100% of debris. After you finish, just take your blower and blow that minor stuff back up into the lawn.

10. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

listen build the box outta plywood an frame the top in with 2x4.s an cover with hardware fabric the smallest hole size you can get i use the quarter inch stuff it works awesome . it gets all the air out of the leaves making the leaves compact more. the more air that can escape the inside of the box the more leaves it can hold . any more questions just ask