Leaf box screen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wilburn Parks, Sep 3, 2002.

1. I will be making a leaf box for one of my trailers and was wondering what size of screen or what material you use to keep the leaves from blowing back out?

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mesh Tarp...mine lasted one season which is good enough only has 2 holes in it the size of a quarter. Hopefully half way through the season I will have a different box made of of metal. With a expanded steel mesh top. Check out www..Leafcollector.com and then check out the leaf boxes they make that is what im trying to make myself.

3. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Go to Home Depot and take a look at 1/4" Hardware cloth.

Despite the name it is actually a mesh fencing type of material...
    and over the years of building leaf boxes this has got to be the best in terms of durability (it's galvanized) and air flow. I've tried all kinds of vents, tarps, netting, and screens.

I nail it to the entire top of my box and it works awesome... minimal leaf "snow" and max air flow.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a mesh tarp from www.northerntool.com last year. It was my first year with a leaf box and it worked out nice. An 8' x 16' tarp was only $30 or so shipped. The 8'x10' is only $20 or so shipped. Plenty of air flow.

5. 80 mesh tarp from a farm supply or truck supply store is your best bet.

Runs about $80 or less. I bought a 24' X 30' one for $80

6. Thanks for the replies. Will make my decision by your answers.

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the process of making a leaf box for my lesco truck loader and I am going to use a tarp to enclose the whole top of the box. I have what I believe is a nylon mesh tarp that came with my dump truck on the tarp roller. I took this picture of it you will notice a light on the other side that you can see through. Not sure if this would be too restricting of a tarp of if its the type you guys mention.

dsc00291.jpg

8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

ksland,

You should get a tarp with better air flow.

9. ksland, try it, if it doesn't do well then get a different one.

From the looks of the light "different thead you startedhad a shot in the dark", it might be a little restrictive.

You can try this also, try blowing through it with your back pack blower, it it blows up and out of the way, it wont work to well.

Your loader vac will produce many more times the CFM than your BP blower.

10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

heres my pic. i think its 1/4 or 1/8 screen. i cant remember right now.