Leaf box/vac owners, how to charge just to suck up piles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Oct 14, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

looks like I might be doing some work sucking up piles only this fall for a church with a TON of trees, and maybe a few LCO's also. What is a good way to charge for this service, i was thinking one rate for small lawns ($25?) and for larger jobs, $XX per truckload. What is a good rate per truckload and about how many small residential lawn piles could you fit in a truck if they were cleaned up weekly with just a few large mature trees? Truck box holds 9.77 cu. yds (divide cu. ft. by 27 to get cu. yds for comparison).
    Thanks so much,
    Eric

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh, no disposal fees, I will either put in my 4k s.f. garden or sell to other people with gardens. These type people love it!

3. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

the guy who I throw some business to charges $25 to come out and a dollar per minute after the first ten minutes.

take care---Mike

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks. that sounds like a good rate.

anyone else?

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I am not sure I understand. For a "small" lawn, you would drive to the lawn, vacuum leaves, drive back and unload your truck, all for $25.00?

In my area, the very low end for vacuuming is $75.00, and goes to $120.00+. This is usually for until the truck is filled, and/or per load.

I do not like to do "blind" pickups, unless the piles are done by another LCO who I know and uses blowers. Almost everytime I do a blind pickup for a customer, the leaves are raked, full of rocks, sticks, dirt/mud. Causes a heck of alot of wear on the vacuum.

6. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I do work for other LCO's and charge a flat rate per truck load of $75.00 If working for a homeowner I will charge $75-150 depending on how big the pile is.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I meant a small pile that would take 10 min. to suck up, not a whole truckload! Boycea, thanks that sounds about right per truckload. we are talkin a lot of leaves!!! So, $75 a truckload (all from same location) is good, and for a small residential???? I thought $25 for small pile at a small residential would be good since it's just drive there, 10 minutes to suck up and drive to next one.
    There's this one church that just wants the piles removed and i think we're talkin like at least 5 truckloads since they do one time cleanups, everyone brings a rake and the whole congregation does it...

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

If we just suck up the piles, 1hr min. at $60 plus $45.00 disposal per truck load.

mvc-009f.jpg

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We are charging $25.00 per yard loaded, with a 2 yard minimum. We are able to fit 20-24 yds per truck. $25.00 for a full truck sounds a little cheap. I guess it would all depend on how big a truck also. A full truck for us runs about $200. to dump. :cool:

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Brian.
    P.- $25 per yd loaded- Do you mean one yard before it goes through the loader or after, when it’s in the truck? I assume you mean per yard that’s in the truck.

Also I did not mean $25 a truckload!!!!!!!! Ok guys?? I meant for a small pile, which you can get at least a few of these per truckload right? I mean a SMALL pile from a residential like a 7k s.f. yard, so your pile might be, I dunno about a foot deep in the truck bed maybe? You know what I mean? Small in town lawns…. If I were to suck some up for another LCO, even though we have curbside pickup provided by the town maybe the LCO would be like me and too picky to let it sit (to blow back into yard). How much for one of these small piles? Like I said, my truck box holds 9.77 cubic yards.