1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf box

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Janet1116, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Janet1116

Janet1116 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on a leaf box to fit in the back of a 3/4 ton pickup. I have priced the ones from TruckCraft, but was wondering if one could be made for less. Anyone have any pictures or ideas. Thanks.
  2. uniquechev

uniquechev LawnSite Member

go to home depot and make your own ! thats what i did to my 1500 chevy . cost was really cheep ! all i did was frame it out with 2x3 then used anchor bolts and locking nuts to bolt the 1/2" ply wood . using the anchor bolts you can take it apart easily if you need to .
  3. uniquechev

this is what i did

4. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

That is a good leaf box to put in a stationary bed, however, if you are going to be making alot of trips to unload, I would spend the 2 grand, get the dump insert and build a wooden sides roof and rear door. Will save you alot of headache, trust me, spend 150 on wood, 20 bucks on some hardware, and your are set. total $2,170+ or - .
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If you have any mega-trucker-plexes in your area, where there are truck stops, repair stations, etc...you may have a "Mountain Tarp" franchise in your area.

I've seen the Mountain Tarp people in Cincinnati (now moved to Monroe, OH) do some beautiful work on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, and dump trucks...with something that actually LASTS you a few years !!

They'd first 'cage in' the future leaf holding area with a stainless steel frame, then they'd attach the (replacable) custom-made breathable tarp over top and around the frame; with access holes for the chute, and velcro straps for locking down the 'rear' flap.

(just envision what uniquechev posted...only with a stainless steel frame with nice trucker-quality tarp linking it all together)
  6. CuttingEdge Landscaping

CuttingEdge Landscaping LawnSite Member

How do you empty that truck? Do you use a load handler or pitch fork it out? If you do it by hand, how long does it take?
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

do a search i know redmax man has a nice one on his dump insert and im sure theres a couple more guys
  8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i agree with the dump insert, best money you'll spend. build the box off of the side rail brackets, drill some holes in them and bolt it down. when i started years ago, i did the load handler thing. just pulled it half way up the the front wall and stapled it up with staple hammer each load. it would pull hte hole load out like a giant brick. got real tough with we leaves though.
  9. uniquechev

All i do is pitch fork and steel rake . takes me about 10 mins. it works for me right now ! Have to work for what i have adapt to what you have to work with .
  10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

put the vac in reverse duh!