Leaf Box

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by corey4671, Nov 15, 2008.

1. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I just use wood screws and have had no problems. This year, I'm using last years screws. Looks good to me.

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^

3. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Thanks for bringing me back to this thread. I meant to say that your leaf box looks good, not mine. My previous post was too ambiguous.

4. CharlotteOutdoorImpact

CharlotteOutdoorImpact LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think the trailer will handle the weight of the leaves? I was thinking of doing something similar to my single axle 6x12. I would run the leaves over with a mower with a discharge chute on, to grind them up a bit first...Then suck them into the trailer. I Think to unload them I would put a pallet with chains or heavy duty rope attached ( place it in the front of the trailer prior to loading) and leave some chain or rope hanging out the back. Then to unload you tie it to a big tree (or where I dump mine, they have I beams in the ground to hook onto) and pull forward. the pallet will pull out all the leaves.

I am just curious about the weight issue..

Good Luck .....

I am building mine today..( no football for me, I have to get it done)

5. corey4671

yeah weight crossed my mind but good grief, there's a 3500 lb axle under there. How much could 300 cf of leaves weigh even when wet? Maybe I underestimated it. Guess I'll find out.

6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

both of those are worthless when loading leaves. you would be better off raking and tarping! I am not trying to be a jerk either just trying to save you some time.

7. corey4671

I understand and I appreciate your input. however I have to look at what's in the budget and a brand new 12hp loader ain't possible. I've sucked up many a leaf with this little Agri Fab vac over the years and if I could get this BG for what he's asking or less, it'll work for me. I don't have many places where I have to remove the leaves anyway. Thanks again. I know you're not being a prick and I understand your concern.

8. corey4671

ok...yes this is old thread. This is how the trailer ended up...only now I have a black mesh tarp over it. I need some thoughts on unloading this. Right now what I am leaning towards is one of these 16' wire panels that you can get at TSC or the farmer's co-op. Bow it into the trailer and tie chains off to it. Hook the chains to a tree, fencepost etc and pull ahead. Hand unloaded this thing a few times last year and that SUCKED. By the way...I got a deal on a new 13hp Honda Billy Goat loader. Yes it's still a small loader but it does what I need to do.

9. corey4671

anybody?....

10. CharlotteOutdoorImpact

CharlotteOutdoorImpact LawnSite Senior Member

I just use a palet with tow straps tied to each side... about 30ft each side, then bring them together and hook both to a heavy chain that wraps around a pole, tree or whatever etc.. Pull forward and 80% or sometimes more comes right out. then its just a little raking or whatever..

Good luck to you