1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Box

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by FerrisDiesel, Sep 10, 2011.

1. FerrisDiesel

FerrisDiesel LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I just picked up a leafloader really cheap but need help with designing a leaf box for my truck. I am a solo operation and do not have a dump insert for my truck. My leafloader will be mounted to the front of my enclosed trailer. I was thinking of sucking the leaves into the back of my truck, and then when I got to my dump site, taking the discharge chute and pointing it to the pile and vaccuming the leafs out of the back of my truck.

Has anyone done this before?

If I make a box for my truck should I just use mesh for the top and then barn doors for the back? I need to keep in mind when I go to unload the trailer will be there, so maybe mesh for the back?

Anyone have any pictures to share of leaf boxes?

I would buy a dumpbed insert, but I don't want to spend the money on one if I end up buying a dump truck next year, ya know what I mean?

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you think when you buy a dump truck you will keep your pickup? If so go ahead and get a dump insert. If not depending on the Vac you may be able to turn chute to side to discharge. Sounds like a lot of work though. Remebeer when building any box, the more ventilation the better. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. i cut with ferris

i cut with ferris LawnSite Member

if you do that just make sure the leaves dont get wet and freeze.

4. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

Have you though of using a pick up bed conveyor mat for unloading at the dump?? I believe i've seen some in the $150-$200 range out there..

5. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

with HUNDREDS of pounds of leaves that would BLOW!

If you cant afford an actual dump insert Make your own. Couple years ago my neighbor who was a 17 year old had me help him make this. Dad refused to pay for his dump insert so we rigged one up.
    Winch $70 for a 12 volt 5k winch.
    Wood, hinges, screws- $500

Total cost about 600 bucks.

Winch limited the lift hight a little bit but He managed to get the leaves out!
    OH Oh OH! We also added brackets on the inside of the box so i could lift it out of his bed with my skidsteer. I have pics SOMEWHERE! :hammerhead:

im good with graphics so i made a quick demo of what it looked like.
    [​IMG]

6. FerrisDiesel

Thanks Dependable Landscaping, I am thinking when I get a dumptruck next year im gonna get rid of the truck, no sense in having a payment if I dont need it. It is gonna suck, no pun intented to vaccum the leaves out of the back, but I think I can suck it up, pun intended, for one season. I will let ya know how I make out and take some pics when I get it done.

How tall should I go with the box? My sideboards I have now are 2 feet tall, I was thinking of going up 4 feet on top of that? 6 feet total? I have a short bed crewcab, so I need to maximize as much as I can.

7. cuttin-to-the-Max

If you want more capacity make the box hang over the cab a little bit.....
    Do a search look there are TONS of threads like this one here...(below) that have pics of other guys' leaf boxes. There is also another one on here that i read that talked about how high to make your box. One guy said his was 5 inches under the local bridges and underpasses. He even posted pics of it!

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=250181&highlight=leaf+setups&page=1

8. FerrisDiesel

Thanks Cuttin-to-the-max! I typed in leaf box and did a search and didn't really come up with that much...

9. cuttin-to-the-Max

hahah Well here is the biggest Leaf thread on here! http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=293337

Great pics in there!

10. FerrisDiesel

I typed in leaf rigs and found a bunch lol thanks!