1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Box ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Feb 8, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im building a leaf box. Can I use a mesh tarp for the roof, sides and front9to protect the back window of the truck) or do I need actual wood sides? I have the fram built but just wondering if the mesh tarp is all I need. this is for a half ton pickup
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Simple question for the guys that have um. Will it be to dusy???????
  3. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

Depending on how strong the tarp is you might be okay but the leaves are going to put alot of force on the tarp once it gets above your bed sides. I would just go with wood sides and a mesh tarp on top, it will hold up alot better. As far as dust, its going to get everywhere anyway. Good luck.
  4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I use one on my leaf box, works great. Allows plenty of air flow, but can be very dusty. What kind of leaf loader are you using. How are you going to unload?
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I would definately use wood at back of the cab, any gooy size leaf loader will shoot small things out like a rocket
  6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Also, but putting wood sides on you can use the truck for hauling brush, which inevitably happens along with leaf cleanups.
  7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

He did not say it was a box for a leaf loader.
  8. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

i have built all my leaf boxes out of wood with a small breathable tarp on top.
    tarp starts 1 ft. back from the cab. dust is inevitable!!
  9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I've built a box on my extra 16' trailer using plywood on all sides and one of the heavy brown /silver tarps from Lowes or Home Depot for the top. Eyebolts in the trailer rail below the tarp gromets and bungee cords hold it down and taught. I've used roof eve vents just below the edge of the tarp (in the rear)to relieve the air pressure. They're cheap, come in various sizes and bolt flush to the wood. Very little dust comes through the srceen backing on the vents, but I still wouldn't face them to my truck cab becase of the force of the debris. I have two seasons on the box with no problems and using the same cheap tarp.

Any questions, p.m. me

Good Luck.....JIm