Leaf Boxes ? What Is The Best Way To Build One ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way and least expensive way to build a leaf box on a trailer so I could use it the rest of the year for the usual equipment. It is a small trailer 5 x 10 with 2' sides. I am thinking of having a different gate made in place of the drop gate to hang a leaf loader on such as a Billy goat ? I think in the long run it may be the most profitable way to go and may give me an edge over the competition. If I can make something as far as a temporary type box to fit on this trailer for leaf season then remove it after the fall season is over and use as an open trailer for lawn season it would be great . Any good Ideas ?
  2. First off that trailer is pretty small for leaves.

I would mount the vac on the tounge so you wouldn't have to remove it to empty.

Use marine grade plywood.

Set an old tire ot pallet in the trailer with a long chain attached prior to filling it, so you can pull the leaves out.

Here is a pic of what I used to use to get you going. Mine dumps though.

vac trailer 1.jpg
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Where Do You put Your rider?
  4. On a different trailer.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

that box looks great. Hopefully my box will come out just like that. i cant wait till fall.
  6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out www.leafcollector.com They make a really top of the line design. It consist of a metal box ofcoarse with a sturdy frame. The back door for dumping has the 4 metal hinges on the top and on the botton they have 2 plates one on either side. And a bar going through those plates which stops the door from opening till you remove the clip and pull the bar out then you can dump with ease. The front has a rubber gasket around the exhaust hose area to make sure the hose will stay in the box. And a expanded steel top which will stop rocks in there place.
    This settup is made for Vacs with a CFM no more than 24,000 :D I think my little billy goat 16hp will do just fine with this settup. AS for now im using a 20 ft. trailer mounting the vac on the front of the trailer and making the box 16ft long.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here is Kansas it's not hard to find used grain trucks for $2500. I am opting to purchase one of these first, then later get a leaf vacum.

8. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

What is the top of your box like? Is it wood or screen?

TALLEY-HOE Guest

i have a bri-mar dump trailer, with wood sideboards. have 2" trailer hitch mounted on tongue box so i can insert trac vac turbine sucker motor. Have pvc pipe mounted on sideboards with tarp covering trailer. looks like a covered wagon in an old western movie but it gets the job done. i can still haul my mowers to the site & is also easy to dump.
  10. That one is all 1/4" screen. Now on the truck I used an 80mesh tarp. It seems to work much better.