Leaf chasin' grief

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The leaves are starting to come down good now and I'm doing a lot of chasing them with single highlifts and a mulch kit. I tried increasing the deck pitch. It Didn't change things much so I'm going to try out different blades, maybe Gators, to see if that helps.

When it comes to leaves I've got Exmark level blowout almost. I'm not sure what else to try past the blades. My deck does have a raised leading edge thats higher than the sides and back. Would fabricating a bolt on lip to make the deck the same all the way around help? Or would deeper baffles help?

Could some of you that have had this trouble please tell me what helped you?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I fabricated my own anti-blowout baffle for my Exmark. It essentially makes the factory welded in baffles as low in the front of the mower as they are in the back and sides. It worked like a charm. No more blowout. To answer your question, yes, anything to equalize the leading deck edge is bound to help. Just dont mount it too low. That might make your mower more of a leaf plow.

3. Envy Lawn Service

locutus,

I did note while the Exmark version of the deck has a lower leading edge than the Kees, that Exmark's welded in baffles are shallower than the bolt in Kees baffles.

With that said, what is the relation between the cutting edge of the blade and the blowout baffle you put on?

I'll see if I have a picture of my baffles.....

4. Envy Lawn Service

This picture shows the relation between the side and back deck depth, the mulch baffle depth and the position of the blade in the up most position.

dsc_883.jpg

5. Envy Lawn Service

....And the relation between the front deck lip and the mulch baffle, which is a hair shallower.

dsc_887.jpg

6. Envy Lawn Service

I even though about trying it with the chamber baffles removed to see if the flow between chambers would help reduce the air coming out the front of the deck.

dsc_885.jpg

7. locutus

from NC

I think I see your problem. In pic #1 it appears that the baffle you have is higher in the front than in the back. The blades create air pressure under the deck and that pressure is seeking the path of least resistance, which happens to be the front of your baffles. In a perfect deck design the path of least would be the discharge chute. The distance of the discharge chute from the individual chambers makes this problematic. I think if you could fabricate something to bring those front baffles even or just a hair higher than the leading edge of your deck you would see a vast difference. Your question about the relationship of my blades with respect to my baffling I'm not sure what you're asking. Vertically, the blades are about 3/8 of an inch up in the deck. Horizontally, they may pass within 1/4 of an inch in certain spots. OH S--T! I just looked at the last pic. Remove that chamber block asap. That is the biggest source of your problem. I should have looked at that last pic first. One more BIG question: Is this a dedicated mulching mower? The way that thing is baffled, it appears to be.

8. Envy Lawn Service

So the baffle you added hangs 3/8" below the bottom of the blade?

I will try removing the chamber blocks. These form 3 individual chambers, one for each blade. Remove 4 bolts and they are outta there.

Well, to me it's a dedicated mulcher, with the kit on. The only time it has been removed is for rough cutting a pasture, otherwise it stays on.

9. locutus

from NC

O.K. should have read your original post more carefully. If you have a mulch kit installed, you dont want flow between the chambers. The first thing I would try is using a different type of blade with this kit. Those highlifts are probably moving too much air for that mulching kit. Try to find some of those wavy mulching blades and go from there. The baffle I fabricated merely makes the existing factory baffling the same depth all the way around the deck. From the factory, they are about 3/4" higher in the front.

10. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Here is another problem. On the Exmarks this baffle is removed when using the mulch kit because it will create more air pressure on the discharge side. It looks as if it's welded on to your deck but if you know any good welders you might be able to make it removable.

ykdeck.jpg