Leaf Clause in contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FERT-TEK, Mar 18, 2005.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you guys who MULCH ALL YEAR have examples of some language in your contract about leaf pickup in the fall? I am looking to add a section outlining when and how the leaves will be taken care of in the fall. FYI most of my accounts are in a relatively new area where the trees are getting big and leaves are becoming problem. Now, I want to address this in my contract so I get paid accordingly.

My search on this topic brought up thousands of contracts but what I want is a subsection of a contract and has been difficult to find. I remember someone in my situation recently wrote that he mulches year round and then will bag the customers that want their leaves bagged for a fee on certain days. If I remember right he did this leaf service once a month and it included removal from bedding also. For the guys that work like this
    - Does that include leaf removal from landscaping?
    - Do you do that service once a month, every second week or weekly?
    - When charging for the service is it a flat rate?

2. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I recently came across a guy that di this:
    Intermediate Clean-ups & Final Cean-ups
    Intermediate- once leaves started cluttering the lawn he would simply bag the lawn and charge $5 per bag on top of the lawn cutting price which at first I thought was stupid but the more I think about it sounds good. W/o mulching first think about how fast those bags will fill up with the leaves and clippings together.Didnt touch the beds until final clean-up

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

GRASS CUTTING:" grass cutting starts in april, and ends in late october, or when the leaves begin to fall. after this time, we will still be available to service your property, at leaf cleanup rates." LEAF CLEANUP:" leaf cleanup will be charged at a seasonal rate, plus disposal. we will make several visits providing a "mini cleanup", with the final 2 cleanups being the most thorough. leaf cleaning service will be considered complete, when all of YOUR leaves are down, and cleaned, or no later than dec. 15th, pending weather. when the final cleanup is complete, we will not be responsible for leaves blown from street or neighbors property on to yours."

4. FERT-TEK

Thanks fellas that is exactly what I am looking for especially BG's reply.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Dave , here is an excerpt from our commercial contract:

I. Leaf Removal

1.) Leaf removal is an extra charge, and is not included in regular lawn mowing rates. We may use any combination of equipment at our disposal to remove , mulch, shred, and vacuum the leaves from your property. A discount of 10% off the regular rate is available if we may dispose of leaves on your property.

2.) Leaf removal may still coincide with lawn mowing in early fall, and both are separate charges. At the point of grass dormancy, you will be billed weekly for leaf cleanup only at the rate of $_____________per visit.

3.) Final leaf removal will include all beds, borders, window wells, and open yard areas on the site.

Permission granted to place collected leaves on your site for disposal: YES________NO__________

6. FERT-TEK

Impact I like what you submitted it is short and to the point but still gives the property owner the option to omit that service and also gives them removal options for a discount. So far I can see combining some language from Bobby Gedd and yours to tell the customer when leaf removal will start October first through December 31, or somthing like that.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The property is left free of leaves after your weekly visit. Casual debris is picked up.

That is in the contract
    My company provides property maintenance service. We maintain the property at a high standard all year. We do not do fall clean up or spring clean up as the property should never get to the point that it needs a lot of work. The only add on would be storm damage.
    And yes, we are getting paid for it.

8. FERT-TEK

PM, I applaud you for keeping high standards year round. But there is significantly more work and disposal needed in the fall. If I understand right you do not charge additional fees for this service in the fall OR do you charge a little higher year round to compensate for the longer days in the fall?

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

No we do not charge an additional fee. But yes they are paying for it.
    We price it all out at the time of the proposal and add up the total. Divide by 12 and that is the fee each month all year.
    We do about 25 mow-blow-go still but I would like to get to all Full service. We only do leaf clean up for our clients that have full contracts. We do not sell it as a service to any other people.

10. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

We will begin to remove leaves from property starting late October/early November. We will make approximately 3 visits during the fall and remove leaves from all lawn and bedding areas,as well as driveways ,porches,decks etc. The first 2 visits will occur before Thanksgiving holiday and the final visit will occur after Thanksgiving day holiday.You will also be charged for a normal lawn cutting during each appearance we make,this is over and above the charge for the fall cleanup.We cannot control how the surrounding neighbors keep up with their leaves,therefore,once we make our final visit after Thanksgiving holiday,any leaves that blow from adjacent neighbors will not be included in the above charges.Any additional visits per your request,will result in additional charges for that visit.