Leaf clean-up trailer

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by robertsturf, Oct 24, 2010.

1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

what about the spot on the back where the tarp doesn't cover?
  2. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Nice rig man, I would like something like that but just can't justify it. Looks good though.
  3. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

the guy who sucks up my levees has it on the truck so he can drive on the lawn
  4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

The hose on it is 16' long and 10" in diameter, but you do blow rake and tarp the leaves to the drive or curb and suck them up. The back doors are the barn type and the loader swings away with them. You just have to secure the doors when you dump your load. The engine seems to have more than enough power we did have another loader with the 13hp Honda and it worked good also until you got to wet leaves. You can clog anything if you are not careful.
  5. robertsturf

The tarp was too short that came with the trailer and it was brand new so I put a piece of plywood on the back of it. It also moves the debris farther away from the operator. You would be surprised how dirty you can get with all the leaf dust blowing around.
  6. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 LawnSite Senior Member

Really nice rig, a guy i know is in the process of making something like that. He bought a dump trailer and is having a metal top custom made and just bought a 25hp billy goat loader for it. He always color matches everything a custom green so it should look pretty cool. He even has GM use a custom green when he buys a new truck. When he bought a new IR tow behind air compressor he had it custom painted before he even got it home.
  7. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same setup except I found the vac was too putting to much weight on the doors and messing up the hinges so I built a bracket welded to the frame that it pins into just to go easier on the rear doors
  8. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

I would love to build something like this. What would be the minimum size of the trailer to be effective. Would you say that 6x10 you have is enough? How many jobs will it hold. Thinking about getting a 6x10 building the sides but do you have to buy a specific engine and is the loader seperate? What would be the minimum hp engine? Do you have to buy a specific type for loading? Ha, too many questions I guess.
    Anyone that can help me out please let me know! I would kill for a setup like this.
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

nice trent, very nice. it is essentially what we have but home made.

you got a lot of leaves lined up, and do you advertise for curbside leaf removal anywhere.?
  10. robertsturf

Thanks Ralph, we haven't advertised for curb-side yet. I am not sure we will I have experienced the trash and other debris that occurs on the curb side clean-ups so I am not sure yet, but it is a thought. So I guess your not going to the GIE Lol !!! just kidding.

The minimum size trailer I would use would be 6 x 10. HP wise I would say nothing small than 13 but in this case bigger is better!! Get the biggest you can afford even if its used. Replacement engines are cheap.