Leaf Clean up

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by U grow it... I'll mow it, Dec 22, 2004.

1. U grow it... I'll mow it

U grow it... I'll mow it LawnSite Member

Today I did a leaf clean up and charged a $150.00. Thinking that price was to low and would take forever 6 hours to be exact. $25 a hour is not bad, but I feel like every time I do a leaf job I'm not making enough money for the work. What should i charge? I did not have to carry the leaves away.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I wouldn't have touched that for less than $240.00. Optimally I would have charged $300.00. Depends on what I had going on at the time. You are not making enough money for your time, but then again, its all relative aint it?

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Trying charging $60 per hour. You will get some and lose some. When they say no thank you you can think "next".

4. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds kinda low friend. Theres alot of things to consider such as the probable income class of the area you're in, amount of competition, your overhead and such. I'm sure others on this board can probably give you a better answer but for me , if I dont end up at $75- $100 per hour for me and one helper I consider it a loser job. Lawnsite is a good place to get ideas. Good luck!

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I just assumed he was working solo. If he wasn't, he got skint if you know what I mean.

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on what the job costs YOU. Figure in all of your expenses, and consider what equipment you are using. Don't be afraid to include a PROFIT for yourself, that is the whole idea.

I have done quick clean-ups for $40.00 and this year we had a major clean-up for $3500.00. My biggest expense is always employees. I like to charge $40.00 per man per hour for leaf removal plus any expenses that we run into. Sometimes they say "forget it", thats OK, my regular customers don't even ask for a price, they just want it done.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I charge $35-$45 for a 10x10 tarp. Ill be at a house for 45 min and charge $300.

With the tarp method, it works well, you dont lolligag as much as if you were going hourly, also sense your hustleing trying to get more tarps done, you have time to fit more jobs into your schedule.

Try it, you'll be amazed how well it works!

8. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're most definitely right.

9. U grow it... I'll mow it

U grow it... I'll mow it LawnSite Member

I was working solo. For me it always seems everyone wants a break on leaf work and I dont understand it. The first thing this lady said to me was she was a single mom and she did have alot of money, but she lives in a $250,000 house.

10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

You should of told her that its not your fault that she got pregnant. lol