leaf clean ups this weekend

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mikes landscaping, Nov 25, 2007.

1. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

Hey guys, we finally got arounmd to doing our cleanups this weekend, weve been so busy with school we havent had a chance. Heres what we did. Over the summer we purchased a used billy goat loader, which has a kawasaki engine on it, which i believe to be 11 horse or so. It was used hand had alot of wear but ran great and worked good. M ypartner has a 1997 f350 powerstroke, so we decided to put it on his truck. We picked up 3 sheets of OSB plywood from home cheapo for 6 bucks a sheet, and about 10 2x4's. we built a simple box on the truck using full sheets on the side and 3 quarters of one agiants the cab. he purchased a new tailagte for his truck lat year so we took that off and put the old one on, and put the loader on. we then took a leftover scrap from the ply wood and cut the circle out for the pipe in. we screwed this across the back of the truck so the pipe would sit inside it. We wrapped a tarp over the whole box. i bought a gromet kit and made new gromets in the tarp for extra strength. we laid a tarp down iside the box and tacked up high agianst the back wall.
    The loader had a old hose on it, so at first we looked into getting anew one then realized it would cost as much as the machine, so we picked up a few roles of black gorilla tape and rewrapped the hose, hopefully giving us a little more suction. The unit worked great all weekend, and it wasnt to bad to unload the truck, we shoveled and pitchforked about half the truck out, then pulled the inside tarp out. Next years addition is hopefulyl an easy dumper lol. I forgot to mention we also put a piece of ferin on the outside along the 2x4's to slide our rakes into, that worked good scince we dont have a trailer yet lol. Overall the leaf loader saved us alot of time over last year when we were still bagging leaves. Just thought i'd share with you guys our new addition.

IMG00020.jpg

IMG00021.jpg

IMG00022.jpg

2. mikes landscaping

from kansas

any comments? ideas for improvement? thanks

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

If you line a tarp around the inside, tie some rope around the four corners you can prolly just pull the leaves out. Might be easier.

5. Landmark

Landmark LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Doesn't look like you have your boxed vented. Definitely need to as you will get better suction and a fuller box. Might consider using one of those tarps cover trees and shrubs during transport, kind of like a mesh rather than solid.

6. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

mulch the leaves first to reduce volume and you can do more jobs before you go to the dump. I could grind that pile of leaves into dust that would amount to 1 large bag. In fact I did several today with more leaves than that and the most bags I left at the curb was 5. But you guys look like hard workers and you do good work. You'll do just fine

7. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

put a mesh tarp on the top and you will be able to go much faster+ you pack it in much better as well.

8. mikes landscaping

from kansas

Thanks alot for the ideas about venting, i think ill try that because im looking to get a little more power out of the machine. As for work, we try our best, the picture you see ther is before i finished cutting the front yard. Usually after we do the leaves, we cut the lawn. It was a little trick because the day we did this particular lawn first in the am, it was extremly cold and the ground was still frozen, so some leaves were frozen in the lawn lol, after we had finished the front, the back had thawed enough for us to get the leaves up.
    -Pete

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

This post is 100% true. You have to try it to believe it.

Gators (or similar) and a mulch kit on the mowers and grind that to dust. You guys are doing lots of hard work and thats commendable but you can reduce your time and workload by 75 to 80 percent by grinding that stuff down on the lawn. Collect the high spots and be done. I don't bag anything bigger than a quarter and thats only at the high end properties. Its fun to use the vacuum but it is no fun to be shoveling that crap out of the box after you bust your hump all day. A dumper would be great but read jeffex's post again.

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member