1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf clean-ups

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Varsity L&G, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

How do you price them right?

By the tree, by the hour, by the footage? What is a good universal way of pricing them.

Getting ready to do some leaves here. Putting the add out next couple weeks.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I do it by the hour. Just my 2 cents!
  3. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

Well depending on the yard and if they want the leaves Gone or just Mulched up... I usually charge 2-3 times a regular cut as it usually takes me 2-3 times as long....

I should really start timming and see how close I am... Also, I am keeping my eyes open to see how others are pricing this....
  4. Varsity L&G

Do you use the 55 to 60 an hour price for by the hour?

If you blow the leaves do you also include a cut?
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Average sized city lot, double the weekly mow + 30 for each bagger full of leaves. On the city lots that usually comes out to 120- 150 bucks a week for 30 minutes.

The big suburban lots that are more labor intensive, with a lot of trees, landscaping and beds to clean out, we charge by the man-hour.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

By the hour. This year the hourly rate will go up and there will be a dump fee included.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

You have to go by the hour. The amount of leaves can change from week to week. You could have a yard full of leaves and it's taking you 5 hours to clean up and on the day you quoted him you saw maybe 3 hours worth of work. I tried going by the job on a few last season and NEVER AGAIN!
  8. Varsity L&G

So what do you use per hour? Same as the mow rate or less? 45$, 60$, 90$?
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I always go per man hour. Give them a ball park figure if they want it, and explain that it is ONLY a ball park figure.

Around here it was 30-35 per man hour about 2-3 years ago. This year I'll be at 45-55 per man hour depending on the job. I always charge to haul it away. Its free for me to dump the leaves but still the fact that I'm hauling and unloading so I'm not unloading and not getting paid for that time wasted.

BTW, this is for cleanups using blowers and the truck vac. If i were using vacs on the mower(s) I would do as some have said and charge 2 or 3 times the normal price plus however much extra.
  10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We always price by the job and say that the amount can vary depending on the leaves. We decide how good the job needs to be, we state upfront that not every leave will be removed. They have to trust our judgement as to how clean it will be, if they have a problem with that then we skip the job and tell them to go elsewhere. Most of our work is by referral so they have an idea of the type of job we do and the prices we charge. Like I have said a hundred times we don't like to work for fussy people, we are in and out no time to sweat every detail. That's for Professionals, we do this to make money and because we want to.