Leaf cleanup advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Oct 15, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I need to find more work this fall, and I am considering leaf cleanups but in the past I have not been able to clean up the leaves efficiently enough to make good money, using rakes or bagging mowers, and the only blower I have is an Echo handheld.

Would it be worthe renting a Little Wonder blower to do leaf cleanups? Also, I know that bags really make things slow, so what should be used instead?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

work with what you can afford right now...instead of thinking about equipment what about different techniques. Like mulch, then bag. Or perhaps tarping the leaves. Also do multiply clean ups throughout fall and it saves you the hassle of having to do one major clean up at the end of fall

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

definately say "no" to garbage bags. sounds like your operation is small like mine.

the best way to move leaves is to use a tarp. rake them on to the tarp and drag them away. up until now, my work load has been rather light for the leaf cleanup, but now that the leaves are really falling, I'm going to make arrangements to get a couple helpers to move things along faster. Get a couple tarps going at a time. I'm not going to be able to help people who need the leaves taken completely off premesis unless they are willing to pay more than most reasonable people are willing to pay. My operation is not large enough to be equiped to do the "remove from premesis" jobs efficiently.

4. LawnMowerMan2003

Remsen1:

Well, what else would you do with leaves if you didn't take them off the premises?

5. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dump them in the woods on their property. Other will have made arrangement with a neighbor to have leaves dumped there. Most of my work is done in areas where this is feasible. All also do alot of work in one mobile home park where they have a specific area for this kind of dumping. The other alternative will be to load them on my trailer and haul them away, but I don't have any of these types of jobs and I am not looking for them right now either.

6. LawnMowerMan2003

I was just curious, because that may be the biggest pain, hauling them off. In my case 99% of my lawns are in the city, so unfortunately there's no woods to dump them in.

7. McCarty"s

McCarty"s LawnSite Member

Using tarps, rakea and back pack blowers seem to work well for me. I use a crew of three (3), One mans the Billy Goat and does the clean up closest to the machine and the other two blow and rake the leaves onto tarps then transports them to the Billy goat for shredding. As far as disposal, I have contacted five (5) farmers who allow me to dump on their fields for free as long as I do a leaf clean up for them. (so not really free) The farmers just till them into the soil for nutrient value.

8. LawnMowerMan2003

Why doesn' it work to just use the Billy Goat?

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think the Billy Goat that McCarty"s is refering to is a leaf loader. This is not the portable vacumn you are thinking about.

10. LawnMowerMan2003

Yeah, I guess that would make more sense, now that I read it again.