Lawn Care Forum banner

Leaf cleanup is on the way, i need help

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  the undergraduate 
#1 ·
I want to build an enclosure on my trailer and truck because im thinkin of gettting a truck vac. I want to search for enclosure ideas, but i dont know the keyword to use. can someone help.

#2 ·
I had to build just a box on the one truck, no dump insert or anything. Its 3 foot tall on a long bed (8'x6'). just got 2 sheets of plywood, some 1"x2" boards and the top is screen to keep a neutral airflow (so it doesn't build pressure). Heres a side pic, I put it on the computer to figure out what the lettering will look like, this is one of the few different designs i did, its being painted as we speak.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle

#3 ·
kc2006 said:
I had to build just a box on the one truck, no dump insert or anything. Its 3 foot tall on a long bed (8'x6'). just got 2 sheets of plywood, some 1"x2" boards and the top is screen to keep a neutral airflow (so it doesn't build pressure). Heres a side pic, I put it on the computer to figure out what the lettering will look like, this is one of the few different designs i did, its being painted as we speak.
Do you happen to have a picture of the rear? If not how did you make it?

#4 ·
If this box is just for your leaf removal, I would put it in BIG letters. Better yet, say Fall Cleanup Special....in large letters. Also, maybe a couple of leaves painted on wouldn't hurt (to give that visual reminder of what THEIR yard at home is looking like) and have the phone number real big like you have it. Nice rig, by the way!

#6 ·
This year is going to suck with that truck. I'm thinking just forking the leaves out. Shouldn't take me or two of us long to unload it. Keeping it simple this year. Next year that truck will have a dump insert probably and a larger loader.

The back isn't done yet, still thinking on that. I'm debating taking the tailgate off and having it as one big door that hinges out to the side or the top (the theory here is so I can get closer to the bed to fork the leaves out) or make it hinge from the top and it will wedge behind the tailgate once the tailgate is closed.

I just got done drawing out the plan for the loader holder. The company I used to work for was smart with the idea of having a dedicated leaf truck, everything needed for a leaf cleanup job was on that truck, it was a dump with a very large canvase box (probably 20-25 cu yrds) and the loader was massive on the back on a swingaway mount and all the rakes went in a pipe, tarps, gas and handheld blowers in a toolbox under the truck. Then on the front were the blowers, they had a fab shop build a hitch for the front that had a large tray on it, the two walk behind blowers went on there and you ratchet them down. The truck was set up, 2 guys in it and we did leaves all week long busting jobs out.

Thats what I'm doing with mine just on a smaller level. I'm making a swingaway tray for the rear that will hold the small loader, 2 backpack blowers, gas cans, tool box to hold tarps and other small stuff, and then a pipe to hold rakes. It should work out well, I'm making hooks on the back of the door to hold the blower tubes up in the air (secured) and another one to hold the hose for the vac. Then when i go to unload the leaves I just have to swing out the tray to the side and unload the leaves. I'll get pics when its done.

#7 ·
kc2006 said:
Looks good! How did you attach the 1x2 to the bed in order to hold the plywood?
Thanks

#13 ·
kc2006 said:
This year is going to suck with that truck. I'm thinking just forking the leaves out. Shouldn't take me or two of us long to unload it. Keeping it simple this year. Next year that truck will have a dump insert probably and a larger loader.

The back isn't done yet, still thinking on that. I'm debating taking the tailgate off and having it as one big door that hinges out to the side or the top (the theory here is so I can get closer to the bed to fork the leaves out) or make it hinge from the top and it will wedge behind the tailgate once the tailgate is closed.
It is very nice, I would second the idea of removing the tailgate, it isn't very hard to do only takes a few minutes to figure out... I took mine off in 2-3 minutes and it IS light enough to lift by yourself (no it's not ultra-light but it isn't super heavy, either).

Far as forking it out, I feel your pain, this is my 4th year and I've ALWAYS forked the leaves out of my 6x12 trailer with a 10-tine pitchfork, sux. Takes me anywhere from 20 to 30 maybe 45 minutes to get it all out by myself, working steady and pretty good at it (no time to waste is another way to say it). Somedays I about gotta bend my own arm behind my back to get myself to do it, but in the end it still hasn't killed me.

#15 ·
yea I know how to take the tailgate off, I just want to keep a nice look, the truck looks incomplete without the tailgate, i'm weird like that.

As for the screen, its just metal screen for like a screen door, got it at a local discount place, the whole top is screen.

#17 ·
Hey guys. I just got done building a leaf box for my truck. Instead of using plywood I built a frame out of 2x3 and 2x4's. Then wrapped and stapled the whole thing with .5 inch mesh on the sides, front and top. This allows air to pass through but still contain the leaves perfectly. On the rear is a large door on hinges that is also made of a wood frame and mesh. in the middle on the top there is the cut out hole for the vac tube. On the top roof of it there are 2 large eye hooks that are there so i can lift the whole thing off the bed of my truck with the backhoe in about 30 seconds. it basically slips in between the bed rails and gets tied down on the inside. Im having huge signs made up to put on the sides for leaf removal as well. Always gota advertize! Ill try and get some pics of it tomroow.

James
JS LANDSCAPING

#18 ·
Oh, incidentally, KDC,
Here's an idea that will make your unloading woes ALOT less troublesome. You will need a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plywood, another 4 ft. piece of plywood approx. 2 to 3 ft. wide (high), 2 pieces of 2x4 approx. 4 ft. long, two pieces of approx. 1/2" angle iron (8 footers) and about 6 pieces of 1" dowel approx. 4 ft. long., and two old cabinet drawer handles (whole hand - loop type). Now, this sounds like alot, but it really isn't, and it's very simple.
Predrill some holes in the lengths of the angle iron, and use some self tapper screws to fasten these pieces to each side of the bed - just inside the fenderwells (to the fenderwell, itself). In a L _l type formation in the bed. Grind some of the bolt heads off. You can also use carriage bolts and put nuts on from the outside under the fenderwell. This can be siliconed up after use, anyway. Cut the dowels so they are just short enough to fit down inside of these rails crosswise. The sheet of plywood is going to act as a rolling bed...much the way a drawer rolls out of a desk. The smaller piece of plywood will be attached vertically to the back of the rolloff bed using the 2x4's that will be mitered and fastened with glue and woodscrews.
The two handles will be attached at the back of the bed on each side to provide an easy comfortable grip. When you are ready to dump, you simply open your door(s), gab the handles and pull straight out. This will bring the pile out to YOU! The dowels will drop on the ground conveniently in one location, and the bed will then teeter so you can set it down (balanced). Do not pull it all the way out. (although it would STILL be easier than reaching up in there by hand and PULLING the hard packed leaves out). Anyway, after you get the bed out about 1/2 way (or a little bit more), here's the beauty of it. With the height of YOUR truckbed, you can back up and it will push the bed so it will raise about straight up and pack the leaves behind it. You simply pull back forward just a bit, sweep out what little remains in the truckbed, reset your dowels - keep them toward the back because they will roll toward the front when you slide your wood bed back in. All you have to do is space them a bit so they are approx. even distances.
Anyway, think about it. This little initial building will save you ALOT of time and work unloading in the long run. You will be unloading quite a few times during the course of the season and remember how these leaves get. When they are chopped, they become HARD PACKED..esPECially if there is a bit of moisture to them. I hope this helps! Oh...incidentally, this is NOT my idea! It be,ongs to someone else on here, but what HE does, is just go in reverse and slam on the brakes THEN backs up the rest of the way. I don't know if he used the dowel idea, though.

#19 ·
We built boxes for about 10 years. Alot of work and expense. The last couple of years we have been using platic irrigation pipe. Our truck has walls on it and we attach the pipe to one side, bend it in a half circle and attach it to the other side. We then take a large tarp ( the mesh kind to allow for air flow) and drape it over the "pipe frame" and done. Cheap, easy to assemble and disassemble and more importantly it works.

Removing leaves: Before we had dump trucks we would take a bunch of 2x4's or 4x4's and make a solid rectangle maybe 4' tall x 3' wide. In the center we bolted an eye hook. You place this straight up in the back of the truck (furthest point from the tailgate) hook up a heavy duty chain, lay the chain straight to the tailgate. Come to your dumping area, hook the chain up to a tree and drive slowly away. 90% of the leaves will come out. Must pull away slowly and not gun it or it wont work as well.

Mark

#20 ·
The way we empty out our setup like that is by standing a pallet up in the front of the box and hooking a chain to the middle of it. Then lay the chain in the middle of the floor out the back of the bed. We fill the bed with leaves and when we get to the dump we hook the chain to a tree or backhoe bucket and drive foward. The pallet will pull out most of the leaves. Get a good strong pallet and 30 foot of chain or a strong strap and your good to go. You might need a longer strap if you cant get close to a tree or anything strong or heavy.

#21 ·
This will be the second year i have been using the pallet for the leaves. Great idea and it works wonderfully. Amazing how it only takes five minutes to dump compared to a couple if not a few guys trying to blow the leaves out of the trailer. Just make sure you have a spare pallet just in case.

A slow firm pull is important as well, other wise you will be raking.

Eric

#22 ·
If ya'll use leaf loaders, you just use the suction hose and suck them back out of the bed right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.