Leaf cleanup is on the way, i need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

I want to build an enclosure on my trailer and truck because im thinkin of gettting a truck vac. I want to search for enclosure ideas, but i dont know the keyword to use. can someone help.

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I had to build just a box on the one truck, no dump insert or anything. Its 3 foot tall on a long bed (8'x6'). just got 2 sheets of plywood, some 1"x2" boards and the top is screen to keep a neutral airflow (so it doesn't build pressure). Heres a side pic, I put it on the computer to figure out what the lettering will look like, this is one of the few different designs i did, its being painted as we speak.

truckside.JPG

3. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

Do you happen to have a picture of the rear? If not how did you make it?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If this box is just for your leaf removal, I would put it in BIG letters. Better yet, say Fall Cleanup Special....in large letters. Also, maybe a couple of leaves painted on wouldn't hurt (to give that visual reminder of what THEIR yard at home is looking like) and have the phone number real big like you have it. Nice rig, by the way!

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you empty the leaves out from the bed of the truck? I have seen some folks having a tarp on the bottom and then drag it out of the bed.

6. kc2006

This year is going to suck with that truck. I'm thinking just forking the leaves out. Shouldn't take me or two of us long to unload it. Keeping it simple this year. Next year that truck will have a dump insert probably and a larger loader.

The back isn't done yet, still thinking on that. I'm debating taking the tailgate off and having it as one big door that hinges out to the side or the top (the theory here is so I can get closer to the bed to fork the leaves out) or make it hinge from the top and it will wedge behind the tailgate once the tailgate is closed.

I just got done drawing out the plan for the loader holder. The company I used to work for was smart with the idea of having a dedicated leaf truck, everything needed for a leaf cleanup job was on that truck, it was a dump with a very large canvase box (probably 20-25 cu yrds) and the loader was massive on the back on a swingaway mount and all the rakes went in a pipe, tarps, gas and handheld blowers in a toolbox under the truck. Then on the front were the blowers, they had a fab shop build a hitch for the front that had a large tray on it, the two walk behind blowers went on there and you ratchet them down. The truck was set up, 2 guys in it and we did leaves all week long busting jobs out.

Thats what I'm doing with mine just on a smaller level. I'm making a swingaway tray for the rear that will hold the small loader, 2 backpack blowers, gas cans, tool box to hold tarps and other small stuff, and then a pipe to hold rakes. It should work out well, I'm making hooks on the back of the door to hold the blower tubes up in the air (secured) and another one to hold the hose for the vac. Then when i go to unload the leaves I just have to swing out the tray to the side and unload the leaves. I'll get pics when its done.

7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good! How did you attach the 1x2 to the bed in order to hold the plywood?
    Thanks

8. kc2006

Stack pockets on the bedrails. I had to trim them just a hair to get them to fit.

9. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a picture?

10. kc2006

I'll get one for you tomorrow when its light out.

Runner, Thanks for the compliment :D (missing center cap and all!) I've taken everything you said into consideration, we'll see how i finish it tomorrow :D