1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Cleanup Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by AFM Contracting, Oct 27, 2006.

1. AFM Contracting

AFM Contracting LawnSite Member

Can you vetrans provide some tips on leaf cleanup. Any secrets ect to make this job easier would be great
  2. creeksidelc

creeksidelc LawnSite Member

1. Don't try when the wind is blowing.

2. A string trimmer will turn a big pile of leaves into a small one.
  3. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Here are my tips

Use walk behind blowers and backpacks
    Run mulchers or doubles on the mower
    Bag everything up if you can
    Blow leaves out of flowers and bushes onto the lawn and mow em up
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, what are you using? In knowing this, we may be able to advise you on the absolute most effective use of your equipment. There are 100 little tricks of the trade that will save a TON of work and time in the long run.
  5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a blower. Better than a rake. But thats just me
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

As runner stated what equipment do you have ??
  7. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

arewhen fall cleaups aretough for me. I can't drive my bagging z onto the wet turf, so we blow or tarp the leaves on to a hard surface and then grind them up with the z and dump the bags on the trailer or some where on the property.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

you may be able to work off of this or not but what we do is two guys on back packs blowing out the beds and one guy on a pusher blade on the front of our dixie chopper pushing big piles to the leaf vac of the dump truck and one guy farest away from the truck on the exmark with quick vac system. works well for us