1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jake's Lawn Service, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Hey guys just wondering what I should use to do leaf cleanups in the fall. My budget is tight and I only have a echo PB 260L blower. Should I rent equipment?
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

back in the old days... :cool2: we used rakes and tarps there weren't any leaf loaders like today.plus the companies i worked for wouldn't buy them anyways.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

When i started, i used a rake and filled a billion of those paper leaf bags and left them at the curb at the customers house. That was before but now i have a trailer that i fill up and a blower and billy goat leaf vac. I also am gonna start using my exmark for leaves this year too. Good Luck, you dont need a bunch of equipment to do the job especially that you have so few of them to do. GOOD LUCK MAN!
  4. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I'd agree in the fact that the good old fashioned way of removing leaves is raking. I usually just get the big piles of leaves and then go over what is left with my mower. Works for me!!
  5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Just wondering hoew the billiy goat vac works. I am looking into purchaseing a vac. thanks
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I love the thing, saved me loads of time last year. Just don't waste your money on the shredder kit, the hose kit, or a model with a chipper. The shredder gets wicked clogged even with one leaf and can take awhile to get all the crap unstuck, the hose kit just robs the main vac opening of suction and the hose doesn't have much suction, and finally the chipper on these things only goes up to like 1.5 inch capacity, its not worth it. But other than those things that i wasted my money on, i love the vac. Works great and saves me loads of time. Just don't expect to be able to dump the vac bag into one of those paper bags, the opening is just tooooo big! Good Luck!
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We use a Little Wonder HPV. But it doesn't like wet leaves at all! It'll suck'em up but it cloggs pretty quickly. Hell 3 guys with a rake and tarps (in thicker leaves) went quicker than the vac.
  8. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Renting a backpack blower for a month at a time worked well for us worked well for us when we got started.

monthly rental was cheaper than weekly.

best regards on that, Jake's!
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you're going to rent a blower, I'd recommend a pushblower.

I didn't have a lot of money my first year but I went out and bought a 10hp billygoat wheeled turbine (otherwise known as a pushblower) and it cost me a pretty penny (On sale it was 800 dollars) but MAN that thing puts out a literal WALL of AIR - It MOVES 4-6 times more leaves than the most dedicated backpack - Once I start that 10hp Briggs the joke is over, even a 1-acre lot FULL of leaves is CLEAN in 4 hours so long they got a wooded area. Now not trying to get smart with you, but don't get anything smaller than an 8hp pushblower, the 5 and 6hp's are a waste where you're just as well off with the backpack AND yes, the backpack is a kicker tool too, it just takes a while but in most cases STILL beats raking by miles.

Other than that, the side discharge of the Wb works really well in lighter cover, I have a few yards all I do is use the wb because there's not that many leaves. Basically use the wb by aiming the side discharge strategically so as to 'herd' the leaves in the direction you want them to go - takes longer than grass-cutting, a lot of times you run over the leaves in ONE direction then head back the other way to do it again so you're only 'cleaning' one way and wasting the other half of the trip but still it works great and saves tail. Again this is good if you don't have to HAUL them, unfortunately the Wb does chop them up so if you gotta haul them, the resulting mess is not pretty or easy to tarp.
    Actually if you DO have to haul, you can herd them into piles by riding the Wb in circles and make SEVERAL piles taking a bit of care that you don't chop them up too bad, then that works also. Then use a rake + tarp, I like the 10 dollar metal rake I bought at home depot, for a tarp I use the miss-dyed variety from Northern (which is a cloth-like material and very tough) instead of those POS plastic cordura crap tarps.

Last but NOT least, if you ride over the leaves a LOT with the Wb and keep riding over and over the leaves, it chops them into REALLY fine pieces and this looks ok BUT - MOST people realize this isn't the best thing for the lawn (it isn't, leaf material lowers the PH of the soil = high acid) but there are a few customers who don't give a rat how they're cleaned so long they're gone and I have a few yards I just chop the leaves into itty bitty little pieces (it doesn't work with REAL heavy leaves).

Good luck!
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

walker mowers. one time leaf clean-up end of dec. 2 guys... 2 acres+.... under 2 hours.... $200.

customer thought it was cheap too!