1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Sep 3, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to start passing out a 200-300 flyers for leaf cleanups and was wondering. Do people require you mulch the leaves or would I be fine going out there with a rake and some trash bags? I do have a 21" mulching mower.....
    Also, do yall get any flower bed cleaning jobs during the winter?
    Im looking to have a few small side jobs during the winter to mabey take care of truck insurence.....
  2. stevenf

Anyone have an answer for me??
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Man, you're going to need a whole lot more than a 40 dollar rake and a 60 dollar tarp brother. You can forget the push trimmer as well, not trying to be a jerk but I'm saying folks who need help with leaves don't usually have no light cover, most of them need serious HELP lol, again no offense intended.

See this other thread concerning Leaves!!! <--- link

Other notes: If I was absolutely desperate and I had a serious money problem, the absolute least tool I would consider is the br600.
    Yes, you could actually carve yourself a niche and use JUST that backpack to do leaves, sounds funny but the demand that time of year is so high it almost doesn't matter.
    Anyhow ...
  4. stevenf

I have a rider also that I was thinking about bolting sheet metal at the deck opening. Would this work or do I need mulching blades?
    Also, just getting into mulching, Do you just run over the leaves with the blades set high? I have a backpack blower also. What do you all thing of the equipment I have and will it get me through?
  5. stevenf

Basically, I really need/want to get into leaf cleaning and was wondering what yall do.
    I have a mulching push mower, a backpack blower, and a 44"rider that I was planning on bolting sheet metal over the deck opening and a mulching tool.
    My question is, what do you usually do? Do yall just run over them with the rider and deck set high just to mulch it? Do you blow/rake it into a big pile and then mulch it? do you blow it in a pile,rake it, then bag it and haul it off???
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You will be just fine with the equipment you have......block the outlet of your mowers and drive over the leaves. Don't blow anything until you have passed over the leaves with the mowers.....start at the outside and go in circles working them towards the center. If the leaves are real thick you can back over them .....curvy mulching blades are a little better but almost any blade will be fine. We did many many jobs with 21" units only for several years before ztr units were invented.......and did just fine. I seen guys with rakes and tarps do jobs in our area...they rent a $30/day big trailer and put them in trailer.....I still would mulch them down before doing any raking...most of the times you don't need to remove the remains.
  7. stevenf

ok, Thanks!
    What about flower bed cleanup? Any jobs like that during the winter?
  8. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Up here in New England, people pay to get their leaves out of there and the beds are included in the cleanup. We use bp blowers and leaf loaders to get the job done, unless you have a Walker. Tarps and barrels suck!
  9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

some customers, and I mean some let us blow them into the woods that border their property.
  10. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, I have a few like that myself, but otherwise, in the leaf box they go and off to the compost pile. Kinda looking forward to cleanups this season, good money and cooler weather.