1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jh88, Aug 17, 2003.

1. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

Ok justed started biz this year and have only done a little leaf cleanup at my own property. I know when i did it it was VERY slow going. Looking for ways to improve my efficiency for this fall. Please suggest any equiipment that would speed me up. Thanks
  2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

A backpack blower is the first thing that comes to my mind. I plan on picking one of these up very soon. It will most likely be a Shindaiwa or a Redmax.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

How will you be handling the leaves?

Have woods around the properties?
    Hauling away?
  4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

What equipment do you currently own???

What size properties?

(As asked by GLAN): Will you need to haul away the leaves, or deposit them on-site?

I use my BP blower to clear the beds, and edges, as well as a rake.
    Then I use the Little Wonder to move volumes...... either off the property if possible, or to piles that I can put on tarps and drag elsewhere (with the Lazer ;) )

Last, I mow with the Ultra-Vac on to "polish" the appearance of the lawn...... This leaves a lawn that wasn't even visible when I started, looking like a fairway!

As far as mulching leaves goes.... I can only do that here if I do it every week throughout the season, otherwise buildup is too much, just makes a mess to be vacuumed up with the UV.. which works, but the Little Wonder is much faster.....