Leaf cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

I'm so sunk. Went to purchase 2 bag system for 52" Exmark only to find out that now the mower won't fit on the friggin trailer. So there goes that idea. Today I do a leaf clean-up and everything goes well with the back blower. Then after like the fifth bag or so I began to think........ :rolleyes:
    Then I says....... This really blows (I mean the blower blowed) but the work sucked. I can't stand it and to make matters worse I scooped up some dog poop as I was picking up the last of em. I'm finished. Let the neighborhood kid do the leaves. I'll stick with just cutting the grass. Even if I stuck with it I really don't think my customers would be willing to pay the amount i think my time is worth for doing something that just a plain pain in the arse.

2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

no one said this was easy work son.not everyone has a UV on there mower a leaf loader or even a leaf blower for that matter.
    fall cleanups are not fun even if you have all those toys.some of your accounts may look for someone else if you don't do cleanups.

3. Tommy D

Tommy D LawnSite Member

:nono: Don't think about what people will or will not pay remember if they liked yard work you wouldn't be doing it for them

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Jimmy - Maybe you just had a bad day, but it sounds like you're giving up kinda easily. Leaf work is hard, dirty, backbreaking work, no doubt about it. That's why most charge more for it.

As far as your mower not fitting on your trailer, what size/style trailer do you have? What else is on it? Any pictures?

I have a 52 with the UV also (see picture). The front rail on my trailer is lower than the side ones, so I can back mine on and have the whole back of the mower over the trailer tongue. Maybe you can do something like that. Or take it off between jobs...it's really not that hard to do.

Hang in there, and maybe give us some more info so we can help you out better.

trailerwithuvrduced.jpg

5. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Jimmy, as far as the bag system goes, the impeller unit comes off, and can be put back on in less than a minute. I am currently doing the same thing. I have a 60" with the UV. I just take it off before loadin up, and put it back on next time I need it. You would be surprised how easy it is. Next spring I will get a new trailer.

As far as leaves, charge accordingly! The money that can be made far outweighs the pain they are to clean up..Home owners will pay, cause they sure dont want to do it!!

Think I'm gonna pay someone to clean mine up! heh heh heh

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to bust ba---, but if every job was easy than i shouldnt have to pay such hight taxes in NY state so SOME people wont have to work at all. You knw the kind of people i mean. LOL

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

The work does suck at times, but the money is well worth it. If you price the jobs according to how bad they are, you can make some good money.

8. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pick ups guys. Guess I had to vent after an extremely frustrating day. Trailer is 6 x 12 and I didn't know that the side motor for the bagging system could be removed so easily. Isn't there also some type of framing that protects the unit from damage.

9. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pick ups guys. Guess I had to vent after an extremely frustrating day. Trailer is 6 x 12 and I didn't know that the side motor for the bagging system could be removed so easily. Isn't there also some type of framing that protects the unit from damage.

10. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member