Leaf cleanups? are small ones worth the time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a few non customer calls from areas i do work in. I KNOW for a fact these yards are small, like 1/4 acre at max. Yet some i know can be blown off in a matter of minutes and others, have huge trees behind them and are all fenced in etc.

Literally one can take 10 minutes and another 3hrs.

Since most of them are less than $100, is it even worth your time going out, issuing a quotation/paperwork, then going back again to do the work and billing them or waiting for payment?

For $100 its not even worth my time to go look at it, its like a $100 landscape job, since these are not my seasonal lawn customers i have no idea what their property looks like.:confused:

And honestly, where are these people getting 25 man hour leaf cleanup jobs at and only paying $300-400? lol. Something that was going to take two of my guys two days to do i wouldnt touch for double that.

I had a lot a guy asked me for a quote, nearly 14" of leaves all over, lots of flower beds on a half acre lot. I told him $500 pricing myself low to get some work early this week.. He shrugs at me and says, $500 for both times? I said both? I would come in once and clean up ALL the leaves out to the curb. He says another company gave him a price of $300 and they would come back by December 15th to re-do a cleanup . WTF? I have lawn cuts that pay better than that
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on how busy you are. This time of year where we have a few customers left to button up I will show up give a quote. Say that is if we do it now, If I have to come back add 50. I usually land a job right then and there. no extra travel time. If I am really busy I blow them off or send them to another company.
  3. Dodge Truck

Dodge Truck LawnSite Member
    from Mass

We have a 150 minimum no matter what size the property or how long it takes us.
  4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the $150 minimum.
  5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Man I wish I were there, I'd let ya pawn them quick ones off on me.
    I have very low overhead and if I did 3 or more a day, heck ya its worth it to me., Any money is better than no money
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We like to eat also...so a little money is better than no money...and the more customers you get the better it is.
  7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I figure if you are pricing it rightyou'll make money no matter what the size....I usually never give up work.
  8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

as time goes by,your customers come back year after year and you dont need to deal with this. we are and have been booked for fall cleanups and dont give estimates since we are not taking anymore. but i know it can be a PITA. to me, $100 is too cheap unless you truely are in and out under an hour.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

#1, I don't bill unless we have a signed seasonal contract. If someone new wants a cleanup it is cash only.

#2 Like stated we have minimums, and IMO if the money is there, then it is worth it.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Now that the season is starting to roll down, the phone is starting to ring from those who have been stuffed by another contractor. He has mowed for most of the season, but has left these folks with a lawn full of leaves, and they are looking for help. They have waited and tried to make contact, but to no avail. This season is not unique, I find it happening every year.

I took a small $100 leaf cleanup job this morning, and gained a $40/week mowing job for next season. I have another on the list to look at as soon as I can get there -- don't know how big, but she will not renew with former contractor for next season. He has departed, and cannot be found. Just showing up for the work now gives one a leveraged position to get them signed up at my price for next season's mowing. I am a small operator, and having some good ones lined up for next year gives me the opportunity to cull out some customers of this season that I do not want for next year. I would rather make a choice now than after the season begins in the Spring.