Leaf Cleanups???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian B, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

ok. i know this is a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY dumb question but anytime i have done leaves i have worked with a guy that has a walker and a toro with a vac on it. i know a lot of you guys do your cleanups with backpack blowers. here's the dumb part.... where do you blow your leaves to???? how do you get them onto the trailer or into the back of the truck without blowing them everywhere??? i just cant picture this. i know in town in my area you can just blow them to the curb and the city will come pick them up from there. thanks for answering!

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a couple ways...if the house backs to woods, blow them in the woods, if not get a BIG TARP, blow the leaves into the middle of the lawn...then rake them ONTO the tarp then drag the tarp (pull all four corners and make a big SANTA SACK) onto the trailer. Leaves are real light and you can carry like 7 cubic yards of leaves easily. DO NOT BAG LEAVES it will take ALL DAY and bags are just an extra cost. Or get some gator blades and a mower that can bag clippings and just mow the lawn a couple times to get the leaves...dump the full bags on the tarp in the trailer...when you get to the dump, pull the tarp off the trailer and be unloaded in less than a minute...GOOD LUCK!

3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We blow all the leaf material onto the turf then suck it up with two 60in. exmark peco vac machines. There may be areas that are faster to blow to the trailers. We are using two 16 ft. dump trailers with 8 ft. sides, 16hp leaf loaders and are dumping these each day, or more. Having a farm or knowing a farmer to dump with is the best bet. Our compost pile at our farm has already made us money that we would have otherwise never seen.

4. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

what i find to be easiest is to blow them into a big pill and then rake them onto a tarp then throw them on the trailer....i put 4foot sides on the trailer for this...take them to this dump and blow them right off easy as easy my man

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Once the leaves get to the curb is when you realise just how much you (I) want a leaf loader.

6. mole

mole LawnSite Member

maybe im missing something?. if you can leave them at the curb why would you want to put them in your truck or trailer?.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't get it? You all take your leaves, load them up with a tarp and put them in a truck? I don't know how big your yards are but if we tried to do that here it would take all day long if not longer plus all the leaves you loaded in the truck would be blowing out all over the place (neighbors yards). Nothing catches wind like leaves. We use blowers for fall cleanups and blow all the leaves together and burn them off in no time. If we have to take the leaves because a customer requests it then we use a commercial lawn vac to suck them up, it makes taking leaves a lot easier, mulch doesn't fly all over the place.

8. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

They don't do this because, burning leaves is "ILLEGAL".