Leaf Collection?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sweet Tater, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Well I hate to keep asking dumb questions. This i my first year and I am trying hard to get started. Its almost leaf cleaning time and I want to ask how you all transport them with out creating a dust storm going down the road. I have done a few this year ( grass clipping and such) putting it on a tarp in the back of my pick up aint working so hot. Any suggestions. I have a 6x10 trailor if I can figure something and my lazer z still fits.
    Thanks

2. Twister Turf Man

Twister Turf Man LawnSite Member

Maybe bagging them is a solution. Put them in the back of the truck instead of the trailer?

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Or do not take them. The majority of my clean-ups i just leave the bags at the curb. I have a few clients that ask me to take them away, but not many.

4. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I do not haul leaves at all. The homeowners have garbage and yard debris collection, so I bag the leaves and leave them on the curb.

Look at it this way, will you plan your day around just one account? If i had to haul off debris, then that means I have to totaly unload my trailer, secure my equipment somewhere (my house or the customer's house), then load debris on my trailer, haul off debris, unload debris, then clean trailer, go back and get equipment then reload it on the trailer. Then I can go to my next account after all of that.

OR...

bag it up and leave it on the curb.

I use an Accellerator catcher and dump leaves into a Rubbermaid garbage can with a bag liner. When full, tie it up, leave it there.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

you might be over loading the truck or your tarp may be to small

6. Sweet Tater

Thanks guys. Good input. I can transfer to trash bags and leave them but I wan's sure if thats how its done. Sounds like thats what I will do then. Thanks lot

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I always load my trucks and tarp and strap them down. But you figure if you can go down a back road full speed without a tarp then theres no dump fees LOL. Just not enough back roads to do that around here

8. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

Luckily we are able to dump them at the curb and the city/villages will pick them up. Don't you guys have this available? If not I really feel lucky.

9. Sweet Tater

Around here its usually the owner or whome ever takes it to the dumb. but we do have lots of back roads:laugh: .
    I think bagging and leavit would be best considering the input here. Thanks guys

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

check your local laws and with the trassh co. you are a contractor doing work at the property it is your responsibltiy to dispose of the waste not just set it at the curb. when i work for the trash company if we found out that was happening we would leave it and the customer would be chage extra to pick it up.