Leaf compost ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bbpropmaint, Nov 9, 2007.

1. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

We do alot of leaf removal , at the end of the day we dump them in a huge pile on my property, have been for several years. they been turned often and have broken down really well. can these be used as topsoil, forming beds with this material and then planting directly in this?? should something be mixed with this??is the ph right?? any help would be appreciated??

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah u got it, u have to mix stuff in. You should have a balance of different types of waste. One thing you could do is mix fill soil and manure with the leaves to dilute the richness of the leaves. i'm not a pro with compost but i know that the leaves can't be used alone.

3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I do the same thing (with leaves). But I dump my grass clippings, shrub clippings, sod & horse manure/shavings (we have a horse). I have used the mix in my gardens for the last two seasons everything grows great, but I still have a ton left (about 20 yards). We are also going to plant pumpkins with it for next season. A friend that is an installer mentioned he's intrested in it for building berms if I need to get rid of it.

4. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

We havent boughten topsoil in years. We compost all our leaves as well. We go to a local farm here and they give us all their manure compost. We bought a thomas t-400 screener and we mix the manure, our leaf compost, and then any chum/topsoil/loam we have dumped from digout jobs for patios etc and mix them all together to get what we call black gold. It comes out looking awesome.

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

You can process the leaves by themselves as you would a compost pile (ocassionally watering and turning for aeration, without the addition of other greens and N), and what you'll have is leaf mold. Lightly acidic but you can add lime to the pile to offset that. It will make for a good soil amendment to add to your beds and turf, but wont have all the nutrients as mixed compost would have. Or, you can use it as a mulch.