Leaf Compost

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pistol, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

To all of the compost experts, is a compost made entirely of leaf material a suitable product for top dressing? I am having a hard time finding a certified source - I found one - about an hour away @ $25/yd. Local leaf compost is $19/yd.

Thanks, Pistol

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Go local. Leaf compost is OM broken down from many different environments and from nutrients grabbed from deep in the soil. Anything composts into something useful. Even cow manure...

3. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

What about humans? ;)

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Fine... Just be sure to buy locally, for the economic situation. :)

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

haha deal.

6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I just looked at the local municipal compost made from leaves. It has no fungal activity, but decent bacterial counts if you're one of those "Lawns are bacterial, trees are fungal" types of people. And at $10 bucks a yard you can't beat it. Use the local source!

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Should not matter if the compost is fungal or bacterial. Unless your site is biologically dead (highly unlikely), the local microflora will use what is applied.

8. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

OR

unless you are using the compost to make compost tea with fungi in it (as something important to the user)

9. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone - I will be using the local leaf compost mixed with some worm poo.

Thanks again, Pistol

10. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Tim....