1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

leaf dumping with p/u truck, how?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by basic lawn, Mar 11, 2003.

1. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

I wish It was a dump truck, but it is not, I said I wish.

The price was right for a pick up...Just bought a used p/u truck --1992 GMC.-- my second vehicle, my other one is an extended van.

Now, it has some slots where I can put siding so that I can enclose it for leaves, etc . I am trying to avoid using 2x2 from Home depot as framing.....

I have noticed that there are special metal frame that other trucks use for siding. Is this commecially available somewhere?
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure. But when I was first starting out, I had mesh sides made for my pick up done by a fab. shop. Cost me about $350.00 to do. If you have barn doors put on the back it's a little more.

As far as dumping, I would put a sheet of plywood on the floor with broom handles under it. Throw the sucker in reverse and slam the brakes, and the board came flying out on an angle. just sweep the leaves off the board and put it back in. It's not a dump, but it worked. :cool:
  3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pick up an Ez-dumper and built a wooden box on it....i have done it for the past 4 years and it had worked out great. there are alot of differant box designs you could use and the ease of being able to dump the leafs is something that you will greatly appreciat

Unloading leafs without a dump is time consuming and frankly it blows. i allways laugh when i pull up at the dump and am getting wieghed in and see a couple of guys kicking leafs out of a pick-up truck and then it takes me about 3 minutes to dump and be on my way and there still kicking away at the same pile.

if you cant afford a dump truck then an ez-dump is worth its wieght in gold
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to say Ez-dump too. That would be you're best bet.
  5. Bruceslc

Bruceslc LawnSite Member
    from 6

I use to put a wood pallet in the back and just pull it out with a rope on the pallet and the other end tied to a post. Get a ez dump.
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Paponte, LOL thats funny but I bet it works fine too.
  7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

A tarp on the floor works good too. Thats what we do. Make sure the inside of your box has smooth sides. Leaves cant hang up on anything.. Just pull out the tarp and roll the tarp over.Leaves come right off. Thats if you cant afford an ez dump..
    ;) :drinkup:
  8. Greener Side

Greener Side LawnSite Member

Ive seen lifts you attach under a standard truck bed. lifts it up to a 45 degree angle. u can build a leaf box on the truck using the steak pockets. not sure how well they work they look like the lifts used in a dump body truck just a idea
  9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Greener Side, they are 895.00 + shipping out of the Northwestern cat. rated for 4000 lbs. Makes your truck into a dump truck...
  10. Leaves and Lawns

Leaves and Lawns LawnSite Member
    from MA$$

i got a toyota 2WD 1 ton with a rackbody.when i want to get leaves,logs,brush or what ever i lay a lot of golf balls on the bed then lay the plywood down.load the stuff up,and when i get to the place i am dumping i tie a rope to the plywood then to a tree or what ever is around.pull forward and out it comes.the golf ball tricks works good for me.but i just cut lawns and do leaves part time,is this the answer full time?no. but it works. good luck. :)