1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Fences?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if anyone installs leaf fences on properties they service for the purpose of keeping the neighbor's leafs off a lawn after you've cleaned it up? Just something like the mesh used to keep birds off berry bushes or a little bit heavier. I'm thinking it would only have to be 1 to 2 feet high and be supported with some 1X1 stakes.

I work in a couple of neigborhoods where there there are tons of leaves, and some homeowners take their sweet time getting their clean-ups done. As a result, my customers want me to wait until their neighbors do their clean-ups before I can do their property. I seems like everyone is waiting for everyone else! If I could sign up the whole neigborhood, I could solve the problem, but that's just not happening.

Your thoughts?
  2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I see what you are saying and believe me I can sympathize with you. I have never seen or installed a leaf fence before. My initial thought was a fence would work for leaves on neighbor's properties that are already on the ground. But what about leaves still falling from the trees? Unless of course all the leaves are already down. Not sure...

What does everyone else think?
  3. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Clean the account, bill it and leave (sorry for the pun). I'm sure your customers understand the wind will blow and the leaves fall. Dont worry about it.
  4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Talk to both of your customers neighbors and see if they will go for a proffesional clean up. Have a price ready before you go and maybe a little off your normal rate to get them to go for it. The up side to this is if they both go for it you will have three in a row and should be able to make up the profit because of this. I am not sure if it would be a good idea to tell them that you are asking them because your neighbor is waiting on them, but think of a good way to present the reasoning for you to be asking them. Or talk to the customer and see if they know of any way they can help you get these neighbors to have you do they're leaves and offer the customer the discount for the refferals if they can help you get the jobs.
  5. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Offer them a free follow up if they let you do the clean-up when you want to. Just work it into the clean-up charge.
  6. I've discussed setting up bird netting at a place I mow for trash! It's downwind from Airborne Express's employee parking lot. We just can't figure where to place the netting where it won't interfere with traffic and plant operations.
    But thinking about it you're right. It would only need to be a foot or two high to catch 90% of the stuff the wind blows. Thanks for the idea. I could probably erect a few low fences.
    I guess I'd been thinking of it as air-borne trash. :rolleyes:

I know your plan will work. I had somebody pull the reverse on me. His property was upwind from mine. Upwind of him was an Aldi discount grocery store. Man! that place could generate some trash! They put a flier on everybody's car that shopped there. Of course people would just throw them on the ground.

The guy mowing upwind of me removed the bottom two rows of farm fence that separated his property from the one I was mowing. Only about 12" worth off of the bottom. All that trash blew onto my lawn! I complained but nothing was ever done about the fence or the grocery.

Most of the stuff that blows in does follow the ground. I think you have a good plan.

I know what you mean about people waiting on the leaves. It's almost like you hear them saying "Lets wait 'till they get wet and caked to the ground then let's see if you can get them up."
    Maybe this will allow you to begin when you need too.

7. Darryl G

The leaves are pretty much all down except for a few on oaks and the beeches will be holding on for some time.

The problem is that I've been told to wait...don't want to disrespect the customer's wishes. These are clean-up only customers. If they are regular mowing customers I do the leaves on my schedule.

I've tried getting the neighbors too, but they either do their own or have another service do it.

It just drives me nuts that so many people want to wait until the week of Turkey Day before doing their clean-ups, but of couse they want the place looking good for the holiday. And then they wonder why the lawn dies!
  8. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I know what you mean darryl...We have had people call us 2 days before Christmas and ask if we can do a "leaf job" for them...
  9. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

If you feel you can't do anything to help youself then you can't. Sorry to be rude but why did you ask if you have to respect your customers on waiting. Try something different or try harder. I am sorry for being mean but the inlaws were just here.
  10. Darryl G

TRex - You're right, you are being rude.

What I asked about was leaf fences. Specifically if anyone installs them. It's a pretty simple question...but maybe it's too much for you to comprehend?

The reason I asked should be obvious, but I'll spell it out for you really carefully so that maybe you can understand it.

O.K., are you paying attention. If I put a leaf fence up, then my customer won't have to worry about if their neighbors have cleaned up their yards. See, the fence would keep them out. Stop them from entering their yard. Form a physical barrier. Understand?

Oh, and don't forget to kick your dog.