leaf footed bug? eating my chinese pistachio

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by erp2863, Oct 10, 2006.

1. erp2863

erp2863 LawnSite Member

Is this a leaf footed bug? How do I kill them? I tried an off the shelf Ortho insecticide/disease product that didn't do anything. The leaves on the chinese pistachio turned red in July and started falling off in August. I originally thought it was shock from a drainage issue I had in the spring where he is planted. There are about 2 dozen of these insects on the tree (about 14ft tall) and I noticed some eggs on the underside of the leaves that are still on the tree. There is some new growth occuring on the end of branches. Please help!!

[​IMG]

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

ERP

Leaf Footed Bugs are normally pests of Agriculture not Horticulture. There are two species known as Leaf Footed Bugs Plus Sink bugs that can be confused. The short story is they all are piercing sucking insects and a systemic insecticide like Merit would best control them long term. Insecticidal Soap and Ultra Fine Oil from a power sprayer or hose end sprayer should knock them down until Merit can absorbed by the plant.

I am surprised that Orthene didn't control or at least suppress them. Although Orthene will not trans-locate in the Plant, it is systemic upon the contact point. Orthene is also a repellent that will keep away chewing insects.

3. erp2863

erp2863 LawnSite Member

RIC,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give Merit a try. Not sure if the shelf life of Orthene is short, I had it in my garage for about 1 year.

Don't know why the image isn't showing up, here's another try...

[​IMG]