1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf grinding with stone in 2001

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Oct 22, 2001.

1. As many of you already now today marks the official start of leaf grinding season.

Some of you picker upper types might ask what is leaf-grinding Mr. stone?

Well it is when one has superior lawn mowers modified to basically turn leaves into a nice organic dust, which enriches the soil.

This year I am also moving up my fertilizations right after the big leaf drop and grind to help in the decomposition process.

During leaf grinding season last year I posted a few before and after picks and the peanut gallery were very critical of the appearance of the turf after the leaf grinding.

Well Mr. stone did see some room for improvement so I made some adjustment to the process which are secret and can never be reviled to the general public.

So lets start off with slide #1 which is the before pic.

pa210002.jpg

2. Ok here is what it looks like after one pass.

pa210008.jpg

3. Stone, you are a real riot.

4. Now after the second pass.

pa220014.jpg

5. Now I made one more pass with a grass gobbler on the mower.
    It only filled one bag in that entire area and was mostly pine needles.

I do not see where the last pass made much of a difference.

One must also remember this grass in non fertilized and is a bit thin for it hardly sees any sun under those trees.

pa220019.jpg

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The only reason I see for the peanut gallery to bash the pics again is that some picky customers might not like the few leaves left here and there. I think its a pass though in my book, it works for me!

If there is a concern you can always sell them on why its good for the lawn.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

id like to see you come up here and try and mulch some of my accounts. nobody mulches leaves up here. it just cant be done. sometimes theres 1-2 ft of leaves in places.

8. Larry, what height are you cutting that lawn at?

9. casey

casey Guest

With my superior leaf grinding system I am able to make it look like your second pass after the first.
    Keep plugging Stone.

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Do they have camera's in Canada??
    ;) J/K

Why not post some pictures? What are you using as a setup?