leaf laoder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steeley, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Which motor to get for a billy goat leaf loader the 13 horse HONDA $2399 or the 18 horse Briggs Vangaurd $2999?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I'd rather have the Honda, but 5 extra horses is a lot of difference in power.I just don't know if it's worth 600 more bucks to go from a Honda to a Briggs. The Briggs Vanguard is a good motor, but the price gap seems a little wide to me..
  3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Are the intake hoses the same size? I can tell you from my giant vac 20 a 12 inch hose makes a 10 inch hose look like home owner junk.
  4. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I think the honda is 8" and the Briggs is 12"
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the 12" intake. 8" isn't large enough to handle large piles of damp leaves without considerable clogging. Good point, Mr. Kelly..I never thought of the hose being less than 10-12"...
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

You want the biggest hose diameter, biggest impeller and biggest engine you can afford!.

I have an 11hp, 10"hose diameter, and I'm not sure of impeller size but it's too small! My loader is ok and gets the job done, but it is really too small and underpowered.
    However, I only paid $750 for it used.

There's a big difference between $750 and $3K

If I was spending $3k, I would be looking for the biggest of everything, and wouldn't even consider an 8" diameter hose, or a 10" for that matter. I'd want 12" diameter or more. Look at impeller diameter too, they're not all alike for sure. I know Little Wonder has a large impeller for example.

In other words, don't just consider engine size.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Definetely go with the largest engine you can afford. I don't know how often you are going to use it. I have the 16hp Briggs and it was ok to start with and will probably use it for a few more years, but I can see (at least) a 25hp, if not a 30hp, in my future.