Leaf Loader for Parking Lot Clean-Up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Clifton, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used a leaf loader as they are not a necessity in my area (nobody in town has one) However, i was wondering how effective one of these would be for cleaning parking lots? Will they blow the sand out of the exhaust vents of the truck? Will aluminum cans destroy the inner mechanisms? Will this work? It would be awesome if it would,,,I really would like to have one, especially during leaf season but can not justify the cost (leaves are not bad here as a whole, howver there are some properties that they are bad on) If we would be able to use one for cleaning parking lots it would make us much more efficient and at the same time make leaf clean up faster. Thanks

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean, fabricating some sort of attachment to go straight down at the back of the truck and have some sort of a wide nozzle? Sort of like a giant shop-vac...

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.littlewonder.com/hpv.html

you might be better off going with one of these. i saw it for the first time at my dealer today and i will say looks like a rugged little unit. a lot nicer than some of the other competitions models.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input guys. Neither one of those are what I had in mind. I am talking about the truck mounted models with the large suction hose, like Lesco and Billy Goat make. It seems most of the trash and such are around the curbs, and the sand and sediment ussually wash into the low parts of parking lots which would eleiminate the need to vaccum the entire parking lot,,,only certain sections.

6. Those units posted were leaf vacuums, not street sweepers. I figured this out after spending a day with a Billy Goat vacuum cleaning a street in front of a customer's office.
    The FILTH & DUST were horrible. Bystanders stayed 300' away! Dust was caked around my eyes and nostrils from the tears and snot! And I was constantly bombarded with sand that escaped the collection bag.
    I'd suspect a bigger unit would just give bigger problems if it wasn't specifically designed as a street sweeper.

Next time I'm contracting it out to someone with a truck mounted street sweeper. Though I still don't know why the city doesn't sweep the street with their big Elgin street sweeper. It has a water spray to combat the dust.

Dave