Leaf Loader for Pinestraw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Clifton, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious to know how well you think a leaf loader would work for removing pinestraw from bed areas. This isnt a light coat, it is a few inches think. We are replacing the pinestraw in several beds with hardwood mulch and I thought that a leaf loader might help speed up the process. Do you think it will clog? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

2. Greenside Landscaping

Greenside Landscaping LawnSite Member

im sure a good leaf vac would pick it up. not the lil hand held one, the vacs that hook up to the back up a dump tailer

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Are you concerened with an acid build up or could you just cover over and not remove.

4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Not necessarily concerned with an acid build up, its just that by the time we add 3 inches of mulch to the 4" or so of pinestraw that it would be too thick. A lot of times we do put the mulch on top of the pinestraw, normally the existing pinestraw is not as thick. This is a high profile account so we are going to do it the right way.

5. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

It better have a lot of power. I have picked up small piles with a 16hp Lesco, and it takes a while. If it's a small bed it will be fine, but if it's a couple thousand square feet you'd do better with rakes and a tarp.

6. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

The local shop says taht the little wonder picks up and shreads glass bottles and seems to be built to suit the claim! Just understand the cost of parts vs elbow grease and time. I don't think the lesco blower would hold up as great possibly a billy goat, but I don' have one so I should probably shut up and see what owners have to say.

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to seam a little out of it, but what is pine straw ? I don't believe I have ever heard that where I am from!

8. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

"I hate to seam a little out of it, but what is pine straw "

pine straw(needles) comes from Pine trees, so do pine cones
    grows mostly in the southern states

9. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks, We have pine trees, I just have never heard of the needles being called "pine straw".

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a client that has a few pine trees on his property which we do a cleanup twice a year. I use my 16hp Lesco up vac the needles after I have already mowed them over with my Walker. I have to vacumm them a little slower than what I do leaves, but it still works quite well and have never clogged it with needles yet.