Leaf loader info and recommendations?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by r_snowrider, Jul 31, 2005.

1. r_snowrider

r_snowrider LawnSite Member

Well thanks to you guys I have made the decision that running a walk behind vac is probably not the best idea for mass leaf removal. The truck-loader mulcher/vacs are so far is looking like the best option, but the bastards are pricey. I have plenty of room in a 15x6x4 dump trailer that I may even make a removable top to keep debris in (it has to be removable for me to do my junk business on the side.)

I'm wondering what methods you fellas have used to load leaves. I don't understand exactly how to put the vac to good use when some of the leaves will be in the backyard or out of reach for the vac, do I just blow everything to the side and vac it? What methods have you guys used to make your loaders a useful piece of equipment? What brands/horsepower do you guys recommend? How much should I be looking to spend? Are they worth the cost if the work is there?

Thanks everyone

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

For stuff in a backyard or far away from the loader, blow the stuff into piles and put the piles on tarps. Bring the tarps out and dump them by the loader, then at the end suck up the pile so you don't have to have the loader running the whole time! Save gas!

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Have you checked e-bay or equip section? Arborsite may have one as well. Possibly equipment trader.

4. out4now

from AZ

5. r_snowrider

Probably not too much more than 3k. I haven't done this type of work before so I'm not sure how much it will pay. Do you think that I could do alright during the fall months. Are people interested in paying a fee to have others do their leaf removal? Thanks, you have been a great help

6. out4now

from AZ

You could do a 16 HP lesco from the look of it. This page has the details but doesn't include the mount hardware. http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=028516

Most guys work in a fall clean up on the yard contract. In AZ we don't really have "trees" so do speak. We have bushes and shrubs people prune into tree looking shapes so to be honest I really don't know to much about the leaf business except what I have read from other guys. I am still considering moving Eastward so I was lookiing at off season work like leaf jobs ans plowing. I did a lot of thread searches which is whatyou may want to consider as well. Many guys have revealed what they charge to do leaf clean ups and specifics on how they do it. I think you're looking at a couple of good Redmax 8000's in addition to the leaf loader too but you'll be using those in regular lawn service anyway so they will be generating income durring regular season too.

7. out4now

from AZ

8. r_snowrider

That lesco is a sweet vac. You have been so much help. Thank you for taking the time to give me advice. Ryan

9. out4now

from AZ

You're welcome. That is what the site is for, helping others. :waving:

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Leaf plow makes getting them out to the street easy as for vac size Do not go less than 16 hp and go larger if you can. The 16s have 10-inch pipes that still clogs a bit if the leaves are wet. Um 20-27 hp have 12 inch that does not clog it just eats what ever you put in front of it. Your looking at 2500-5000 for most vacs in those sizes if you decide to go smaller then 16 do not say you were not warned also the vac time dramatically increases so any money you save on the vac price you spend on the extra vac time and then some.