leaf loader/non dump

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by jamaica plain, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jamaica plain

jamaica plain LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I've been searching for the last couple of day, and spending a few hours looking through the search option on the site for some information and have not been able to find it.
    I have been doing maintenance for 4 years now. In the fall, my schedule is completely backed up and barely finished my work last year. I would like to buy a leaf loader this year to use with my f-350, which is NOT a dump truck.
    The plan that I would like to follow is; buy a top of the line leaf loader (willing to spend to get performance), and figure out a way to dump the leaves from the back of my pick up. (I plan to to buy a dump truck in a year or two)
    I don't want to buy and trailer for multiple reasons.
    I would like to know how to unload an 8 yard box that will sit in my bed? Are there ways of making some sort of box that will sit in the back of my truck and dump?
    I have used tarps in years past, but don't expect to be able to with the use of a leaf loader this year.

2. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

i guess you can put a pallet against the back wall hook a chain to it and pull it out when your read to unload. i wouldnt want to do this. i have a decent leaf loader and it packs the leaves in. i would want to rake them out either theres alot of leaves in 6 yards plus. even with a half full truck which is most residental yards around here the bottom half packs right down when you open the gate you dont lose a single leaf

3. jamaica plain

Thanks for the note. I hadn't thought of the pallet idea. Something to think about.
    Do you unload your leaves by rake after they have been loaded by a leaf loader? How long would it take a couple of guys to unload a fully loaded and packed load?
    I have been unloading my leaves by rake, pitchfork, and tarp in the past, I just don't know if it a feasible option with leaves loaded with a leaf loader.

4. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

less then an hour maybe. i have a dump truck so no raking for me.

5. evono

evono LawnSite Member

I was rocking a 15 HP leaf vac last year which went into my 5x10 trailer which has 4' sides. Took me about 15-30 mins to unload by myself depending on how wet the leaves were and how much dirt had collected.

Its not fun but hand unloading works fine. I also put a tarp on the bottom of my trailer to pull out the last foot or so of leaves.

Hope that helps

6. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

use the loader to unload

8. jamaica plain

Thanks for all the input guys. I was on the phone with a sales person asking around on the same issue. I was told to use the loader to unload the load. Now my only concern is will the loader work when the truck is full of wet leaves that may have been sitting for a day or two.
    Anyone use a loader to unload leaves? I've seen it done on the giant-vac web site, just wondering how well it works in less than optimal conditions.
    Thanks again!

9. ryde307

ryde307 LawnSite Senior Member

I would get a truck inset build a wood box with no top just a tarp. You then have it for other work be it mulch ect..
    We have a dump trailer that holds around 24 yrds and fill it 2-3 times a day. We will turn the loader shoot sometimes when near a woods and shoot them into the woods instead of trailer but never unloaded any loads with the loader.
    When I started we used our lawn trailer and put a pallet in the front like stated above.

10. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new load handler for sale new in the box if anyone is interested. I bought it spur the moment and I havent really needed it, so my loss is your gain.