1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Loader OPTIONS!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Feb 17, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have read the threads, looked up all the past 28 pages of posts made about loaders and now I want to determine what you guys feels is best. Be it loader themselves, truck mounted, trailer mounted, dump truck, dump trailer, brands, tow behinds, hp required, price options and maybe some pictures.

What I have is an old single axle dump truck. I fabed a hitch for an old trac vac engine - 11hp kohler with a steel pipe feeding the back of the truck and a 10 inch intake hose to suck leaves. We built plywood sides with and plywood top with fabric/screen for air movement. Works great when using but due to all the vibration - engine is getting weak, we pull the vac off hitch everytime we unload and things just need to be updated for this coming fall and the truck works good but always needing something to keep it running. I would post pict but my cable has a short in it and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet.

I am thinking of replacing dump (could be for sale) with a 1 ton dually with a flat bed / dump bed. I can also use this truck for small landscape, plowing, pulling big mowers around. Now I have seen the tow behind models - the swing hitch models and the complete trailer unit models. Normally there are always two trucks / account. Sucker truck and pickup with trailer for equipment - blowers, WB blowers, mowers etc.

I feel if I spend the money - I want it right the first time instead of playing the role of figuring this or that out to make it work.

Any ideas, suggestions, methods etc would be greatly appreiciated! I am not brand loyal although I do have little wonder WB blowers. Great product for our use. Also I live in IOWA, I try to do leaf cleanup regardless of weather (unless an inch of rain) so I want the sucking power. Trees in my area are ASH, ELM, MAPLE, and few strays.
  2. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

well, i have a dump trailer with barn doors and this is what i have learned. I like the billy goat for my set up. It mounts directly to the barn door and you can just swing it on the door out of the way. It is lighter than the little wonder or the giant vac and is 18hp twin cylinder. Right now I just have an 8hp of the same machine, which i picked up used. But based on my use of my 8hp billy goat, i would get the 18hp billy goat and mount it directly on the barn door. What style gate do you have? I think that may dictate the best for you. I dont think you can mount the bigger giant vac or little wonder directly to the tail gate. They seem to have the swing mounts.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is of course the best way. For us anyway. You've likely seen the pics of my truck if you did the research. It's likely the only orange truck on the site. I have a 11 hp Hi-Way leaf loader mounted to the front bumper of my 1 ton dump truck. A steel pipe shoots the leaves into the truck which has a plywood box on it with a top hinge swing door. A bigger loader would be nice but ours works fine for us. Once the truck is full the hose wraps around the loader then it's off to our dump site. Jump out unhook two tie down straps on the rear door and up goes the hoist. Lower it hook the two starps back up and back to the leaves. I built everything myself, flat bed, hoist, front receiver for the loader and the pipe and brackets. It takes about 15 minutes to put everything on the truck and be ready for leaves. The plywood box just sits on the flatbed and can be put on and taken off by one person. Forking leaves got old real fast. We pull a trailer with the Walker and other equipment if needed. I build my own trailers and have 4'-6" extended hitches on all of them so I can jack knife and dump without unhooking the trailer if I want.