1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Loader Project

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kemmer, Nov 17, 2005.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

This spring im going to be doing alot of spring clean ups, and for those we have to haul all the debris to the dump, fall isnt a problem cause we leave it all inthe street. But my idea is to get a leaf blower housing and hooking up a 11hp engine to it, adding hose and having blow into my pickup bed. With this setup will it speed up the normally annoying and heavy process of loading barrels and dumping them in the truck? has anyone done this before?
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

they are called debris loaders yes they work well if you have anymore questions please feel free i can sell ya one if needed thanks george
  3. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

ya i know that.....:dizzy: i didnt want to buy a new one and use it for a select few months when im doing spring clean ups...plus im going away to college in the September so i dont want to be investing that much money into the company unless its necessary, i can get both a housing and a 11hp engine cheap from a friend, and i can fabricate a mount and everything for it, i just want something temporary for that period of time, something better than having us load it by hand all the time. Im still looking for a used one, but no luck.

Will 11hp and this setup actually save me time loading and reduce size of material?
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a small billy goat that works well its a decent loader after the season it can be yours for 500 cash with new hose 650 thanks george
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

5hp loader from a trac vac set up :D

Cheap and it will work. I've been using one this fall since I didn't have the amount of work (keyword, didn't. Until the season was almost over and now we're slammed with work) so I used a 5hp loader that i had sitting around, tossed it on the neck of the trailer and away we went. So far its proved to be a trooper to me. It's sucks up wet leaves just fine too, sticks are its down fall.

The blowers impeller aren't meant to be smacking leaves/sticks whatever else you'll be sucking up. Some people are going to disagree with me, but its true they are not meant for that purpose.