leaf loader running rough loking for some feedback

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by seacoastlandscape, Nov 22, 2004.

1. seacoastlandscape

seacoastlandscape LawnSite Member

I have a 11 hp billy goat leaf loader with a briggs engine. It was recently tuned up but started to act up today. It surges up and down but will idle fine. As soon as I turn the throtle up it revs up and down, any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks :confused:

2. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

i'm having similiar problems, 16 hp b& s, it suges during idle and seems to miss at top rpms, maybe someone can help us both out!

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I would start out by changing the fuel and air filters. I put on oversized fuel filters on all my mowers which has helped considerably. If you've already done that take the catch bowl off the carb and checked for water. Also check to see if anything could be blocking the exhaust. If it has a exhaust screen take it off, but I know you'll clean it and put it right back on...right (hint, hint ;) )?

4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Check the oil level.

Is this problem when you have it on a hill or uneven surface?

5. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

oil level full also

6. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Recently had a 7.0 Briggs that would start great, idle with a surge for a short period and die. checked the carb. OK, problem was the plug. replaced it ran smooth.

7. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

how did you check the carb?

8. work_it

This is a picture of the carb catch bowl

000_0002.JPG

9. work_it

The silver cup directly under the air filter is what you need to take off. In this picture you can see the underside of the catch bowl and the bolt that needs to be removed. Be careful not to loose or damage the thin washer between the bolt and the bowl. There's another washer at the top of the bowl as well.

Once you get the bowl off you'll be able to check for water and debris. Carefully use a needle to check for anything that may be blocking the gas intake tube (located next to the float). Dry all the parts off with a clean paper towel. If you do find water in the catch bowl you may have to repeat this procedure until it's completely cleaned out.

p.s.-turn off the gas before removing the bowl.

000_0004.JPG

10. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

i drained the bottom bolt on the carb. it didnt have a bowl. fuel came out, but i'm still having the same problem. she sounds like shes missing a little at top end and surging during idle