Leaf loader w/ trailer design

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Snyderserv5060, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

**I hope this is the right place for this, it seems most appropriate here. If not sorry**

I just picked up a 16hp leaf loader yesterday for fall clean up. I got sick of loading overloaded tarps on the truck or trailer and figured it would shred them up nicely. Heres the situation im in now. I can mount it to the truck or tailer with a hitch mount design as some of the models on the market are. Or I can make a good base for it and sit it next to the truck or trailer. Unmounted would be easier in some ways and more mobile. This would require it to either be at the right height or a discharge tube be added to the outlet of the loader.

Unlike most of the ones ive seen on here my lesco unit has a square discharge. I want to add a few feet of 8inch tubing so it can be pumped into the truck/trailer. What do you guys recommend to adapt a square discharge to attach (and not be blown off) to the round hose? I could weld up something but im trying to figure up how to go about it. If I could find something square/rectangular --> round I could bolt it or weld it on. Or should I add metal to the square discharge in some spots to make it round enough to attach the tube. Let me know what you guys think, I have some time before I need to put it in use but I wanted to get a move on it before its a rush.

I dont really want it on the front A frame of the trailer is it will be a pain to load with the truck so close and will be a problem with turning with the trailer attached.

Off topic but similar. How can I go about adapting a 6-8inch intake tube to the 10inch one or the 10 inch inlet? I figure for my own property we have a magnolia tree that drops ENORMOUS amounts of leaves in the spring. If I can use a small easily movable tube and run it across the yard it can be shredded and dumped into my woods (at the rear of my house). This would save countless hours yearly cleaning up and loading trash cans of these damn leaves.

Thanks all!

2. Snyderserv5060

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like, the picture makes it look more rectangular then it really is but it gives the idea.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

snyder. Mine is going on the front of my truck. If you are interested, its going to be done at the end of this week or early next week. I can snap some pics if you want to see it. I am going with the front mount for 3 reasons: one, I can keep the trailer hooked up without it getting in the way of things, second, we offer curbside leaf removal and thats a job where I can drive along and another guy just walk in front of the truck. Third, no taking the 265lb unit on and off every time we need to dump!

4. Snyderserv5060

Id love to see pics when you get it all finished up. Yes these loaders are heavy. Im going to weld up a wheeled dolly to move it around the shed/my yard.

5. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

you can buy extensions from lesco for that unit, also its going to need to be (heavily) stabilized when in use. when it gets clogged you'll have to snap the hose to loosen it up.

6. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

heres a picture of my setup i had when i had a dump trailer....not sure the type of your trailer, but in my case the tailgate swung as one unit totally out of the way.

[​IMG]

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Lesco sells an adptor for the loader, square to round. I have my Lesco 16 HP loader mounted on a wooden dolly. I carry it on my trailer and roll it to the front of my truck to load. Makes it very nice, very protable. Just make sure you use two ratchet straps, one on each side, of the loader to secure it on your trailor. I also use a rachet strap to keep it in place when hooked up to load the truck. I use a peice of stove pipe as a light weight extension pipe from the truck box to the end of the loader pipe.

You don't want to reduce the size of your intake hose.

8. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

How about a newbie question. Why couldnt you mount it to the top and angle the pipe to blow straight down i the trailor and the hose off the side of the top? make sence the way I said that?

9. Snyderserv5060

My trailer has a tool box and spare mounted to the front which would pose a problem. Also with the tight space I have between truck and trailer I feel id have to disconnect them at each job, not happening. Ideally, yes but not with my current setup.

Im going to make up mounts and attach it the the very front corner of my trailer. This way it will load as evenly as it can not being on the front or rear, will be out of the way and easy to take on/off. Im going to weld it up so it mounts by (2) 2" receivers attached to the the underside of the trailer and the base I create for the loader will have (2) 2" square tubes coming off it to slide in the receivers. Maybe its unclear but I can post pics when I get some time to weld it all up.
    It will have to do for now until I get a dump trailer or a dump truck... Actually got some random news on a possible Ford dump truck (superduty) the other day for reasonable...may check it out.

10. Snyderserv5060

I emailed them and they informed me they did not have this for my model, oh well