leaf loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 27, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i been thinking about getting one. how fine does a leaf loader grind leaves? in comparrison to 2-3 passes with a mower side discharging with meg mos, how fine will the leaf loader grind the leaves? or, maybe tell me in size. will it grind the leaves down to dust? to 1/2"? one inch? two inches? how much can i expect to pay for a leaf loader?

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

There really isn't a uniform size, BG. It varies, there are some very fine pieces that come out, and there are some almost whole leaves. I would compare it to one pass with a 36" mower. You can fit 3-4 times the amount of leaves on your truck. The two loaders I have bought were used, a Giant Vac tailgate vac with 8 hp Kawasaki was $500, and the Giant Vac 20 hp tow behind was $2900.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

then i'd have to say the leaf loader is useless. at one time, we didn't grind/mulch leaves. the way we cleaned up was, to blow them into piles, load them on the truck, and cart them to the dump. every property needed to be dumped at least once. NOW THOUGH, with the way we mulch them, we can litterally do 12-15 properties without dumping the truck. if the leaf loader only diminishes the load by 75%, what is the point in owning one?

4. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

You're right, BG, it won't chop any finer than a mulching mower. Depending on how large your lawns are, it'll shoot the leaves into the truck faster than a kid with a tarp. You need to build a box with no other openings except for mesh vents. On the other hand, you can make some extra bucks picking up leaves for other LCOs or homeowners who mow their own lawns.

5. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Hello there,
    I have a leaf loader for sale. 1600used with a brand new motor. This thing is great, grind the leaves into 1/2" pieces. I prefer the hard laybor of loading them my self. Keeps me in shape, plus I'm a cheap fu*k. I'm selling this week only so get back to me asap

Ow yes, It's a billy goat 1600 w/16hp v-twin. there is a pick in the lawnsite picture forum. pm me

6. scaglawnsnj

scaglawnsnj LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Hello there,
    I have a leaf loader for sale. 1600used with a brand new motor. This thing is great, grind the leaves into 1/2" pieces. I prefer the hard laybor of loading them my self. Keeps me in shape, plus I'm a cheap fu*k. I'm selling this week only so get back to me asap

Ow yes, It's a billy goat 1600 w/16hp v-twin. there is a pick in the lawnsite picture forum. pm me

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

how much???????

8. grapeford

grapeford LawnSite Member

I'm new to this site, but have been full time in this business going on 19 years.
    I couldn't imagine doing Fall clean-ups without a truck loader. Labor saving devices are the key to making and saving money. I've been using a truck loader for about 15 years. I just bought a new BG 11 hp for about 2300. The old one I had finally gave up the ghost. If you're seriously doing this for a living and can't afford 23-2500 for a machine that's going to make you money, last you 8-10 years, save your back from pulling tarps and be able to grind the leaves up so small that you'll get 4-5 times as much in your truck as you would without it, then, well for me it's a no-brainer.
    Ps.. I also run (3) Walkers... Yankees don't do Dixie Choppers
    :cool2:

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

#1-walkers suck. #2- diminishing the load by 4-5 times is not something that excites me. i can deminish it by 12-15 times just by using meg mos. the verdict is in, screw the leaf loader

10. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

so tarp the leaves. I wont anymore. I just bought a weak truckloader, only 8hp, and it is WAY better than tarping. Much easier and faster.