leaf loader

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawns90, Aug 21, 2007.

1. lawns90

lawns90 LawnSite Member

hello,
    I have a billygoat leaf loader, I have read several threads on lawnsite of guys
    who have put the little wonder talon ring on the impeller to shred the leaves. Can this be done or is there one available from billy goat? thank you!

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I would like to know as well, I'm about to buy a 11hp model and I guess I'll ask the dealer tomorrow.

3. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

We've not tried the Talon on one of our units. Our units have 4 blades (TR and HTR series) the talon has 5 blades. Our QL and NEW DL impellers have 6 blades. Because of this a talon will not line up well and could cause build up, clogging and/or imbalance on one of our units. I would not recommend it. The Talon is not patented so we considered offering a version of it on our units but we learned a few things from running their units as well our prototypes.

Look at it logically. From the side, when you look at a wheel that's spinning, what portion is moving the slowest? It's the center. Fastest?, the outer edge. On a mowers blade where's the sharpened and mulching portion? It's on the outer edge. Why? High tip speed equals maximum effectiveness in reducing grass and debris.

In short, a shredding mechanism in the center of the hub of a high volume truck loader is not effective for the reasons mentioned above. From the numerous tests we've done it's prone to collect unintended debris that causes real problems (fabric, shoes, towels, plastic bags, wood, cans, etc...) It's more hype than performance. If it worked so well why is it not offered on the HPV? The impeller is of the same design but smaller.

When run with and without the Talon we could not tell any difference in debris reduction on competitive units or the prototypes we were operating.

That's why we put our debris reducing edges to the outer portion of the impeller (NEW DL series). Debris can't snag up and the outer edge is where you have the maximum tip speed occurring.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I have the 18hp HTR unit and want to know what possibilities there are fot the new six blade design being made for the HTR units.

5. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Axl,

We are already reviewing the possibilities. However, the chances of it being retrofitable are not strong. The reason for this is the "Razors" that we have on the blades essentially shrink the paddle size of the blade. The removed material on the outer edge is where the bulk of the airflow is created and occurs. To do this on the HTR would essentally decrease it's performance if we stuck with the 4 blade design and the current housing. A 6 blade design may give us improvements but they may be nominal. Prototyping will tell us this. In short, for this to really work there needs to be changes in the housing as well as the impeller.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.