Leaf loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PtsLwnCr, Jan 17, 2003.

1. PtsLwnCr

PtsLwnCr LawnSite Member

Everyone knows that spring/fall cleanups are a boreing tedious job right? Every year I get more and more cleanup calls, less and less ambition. I am wondering if anyone has used a billy goat leaf loader, if so which model is the best? I'm looking for one that mulches the leaves and loades pretty quickly into the back of a dump truck.

Thanks for your help

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'm buying one this spring too. If you do a search there is a ton of info on them. The two most popular are the Bill Goat and the Lesco. Lesco is a little less money. I posted a similar question a while back and got alot of response. Search for Leaf Loader and you'll get tons of info on this site!!

3. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

With my leaf vac, i actually look forward to leaf season. It is a real money maker for us. We offer curb-side leaf pick-up for residentials that do not have yard waste and would rather save some $ by doing it themselves.
    I bought a second one over the winter, even though I don't need it just yet, but since I was able to get it for a good price I went ahead and bought it.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 16 hp billygoat htr pro. This was my first fall with it, and i cant see how i did cleanups without it. you definately will increase production big time with one.

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I used my 16hp billgoat all season...actually its up forsale and looking for a larger rig. Maybe a towbehind.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Most all the leaf loaders are set up the same way. When you compare loaders, look at the impellor (or "fan"), it should be thick and heavy duty. Some of the "discount" loaders use impellors that are really designed for just leaf blowing, and they break quickly. We have been using a Billy Goat for years, and around here Giant Vac is very popular also.

The higher the horsepower, the faster vacuuming and more mulching (usually). As the horsepower goes up, the intake tube should also get larger. Putting 18hp on a setup designed for 11hp (which may have, for instance, an 8" intake tube) won't really be any better.

Try a search on lawnsite, as there have been many discussions about leaf loaders.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

How much? How old? Might be interested.

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

E-mail me.

9. Like this?

Leaf loader tip;

Keep them clean and blown off, they will catch on fire. Ask Beck he had 3-4 fires and I found him a back up vac.

ihc #1 with vac.jpg

10. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

There are a lot of loaders out there but we have yet to find one that out performs the Billy Goat.
    Ask for a demo if you have not seen one in action. Once we show one they usually sell themselves.