Leaf Loader

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rmland, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rmland

rmland LawnSite Member

Time to get a leaf collection system. Looking at the little wonder 14 hp Subaru with 8 inch tube. It fits in trailer hitch and is light enough for two guys to pick up. Problem is I cant demo the thing and do not want to get something underpowered. Any experience on minimum unit to do the job right Thanks
  2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Best advice I can give is to buy the biggest one you can afford. You'll outgrow it quick.

14 hp is a bit under powered but not awful, I'd be wary of the 8" tube though, it may tend to clog easy.
  3. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

i personally bought an old lesco off craigslist for $400 and slapped a $250 carb on it (labor included) and it has the 16 briggs with the 10in intake and i wouldnt recommend getting anything less then 16hp unless you have very small jobs.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

That 8" tube is going to clog pretty easy when you try sucking up wet leaves or a pile with sticks in it
  5. Tylerr83

Tylerr83 LawnSite Member

don't even consider a machine with an 8'' intake. you'll spend half your time unclogging it unless you absolutely baby it and if that's the case you wont be very productive. I wouldn't bother with anything under 16hp and intakes under 12''. If you can find an 18 horse even better. Believe me this is one situation where if you're undersized/underpowered you will regret it and quickly.
  6. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

When it comes to leaf loaders its really all about bigger, bigger, bigger.
    Get the largest loader you can for application. I had an eighteen mounted on my truck and then got a 25 giant vac that I mounted to one of our barn doors. With some mods.
    Anyway when it comes to debris loaders get creative and pack the biggest punch you can.
  8. rmland

rmland LawnSite Member

Thanks a bunch every one you just saved my butt. I know that terrible feeling of finding the new equipment is junk. As always no shortcuts or cheap way out
  9. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Dont buy the 14 hp!!! I had that exact one.....junk! Went with the 18hp and thats an awesome machine. Larger hp and larger tube are a must!
  10. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Dependable Landscaping.

Do you have any pictures of your leaf loader mounting on your barn doors? I would like to see how you made that work.

And were you able to dump with the leaf loader mounted on the barn doors or did you have to take it off each time you would dump from your dump trailer?